Guinea Pigs: good apartment pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thetanknwebie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello all! I've been looking for a new pet to add to my home! I currently have a young Sulcata Tortoise, a Leopard Gecko, and two fish tanks (29g community & 3g crayfish). I just moved into a in a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bathroom, 1k sq ft apartment three weeks ago tomorrow. I've been looking for a low maintenance, quiet, and furry companion and I think a guinea pig would work well for me. What do you guys think? I work from home on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. I work from my office or meet with clients on Mondays and Fridays and I don't get home until about 6:00 of that helps. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Tian

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with Gena.... I have 4 rats currently. Which of one comes with me to work everyday...... on a motorbike, lol. Rats can also be trained very well, like when to and when not to take food, spicific place to use toilet (like cats do) etc etc etc.... For an appartment i will say you can't go wrong with a rat. You can keep them out all day to run on tables or counters or on you and when you go out you just put it away in it's cage and go out without any worries....

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guinea pigs make lovely pets, and I love the noises they make the little chirps and whistles. I don't think you can toilet train them so just put a towel in your lap. They are very affectionate and have lots of personality. love to be petted and held. Alison

Jsigmo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think hedgehogs take a bit more effort. A sister in law of mine and her family adopted a hedgehog when its first owner couldn't handle the responsibilities. It was a really neat critter, but did require quite a bit of work to keep it properly.

Merrick

Reaction score
Ferrets are cool but a bit smelly then again same thing for most mammals. They need quite a bit of attention but since you are home a lot of the time it would be great

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think hedgehogs take a bit more effort. A sister in law of mine and her family adopted a hedgehog when its first owner couldn't handle the responsibilities. It was a really neat critter, but did require quite a bit of work to keep it properly.
Well the op might be up to the task he keeps all kinds of animals. Im looking where to buy myself a hedgehog. Looks at this guy or girl

Jsigmo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And I'm not sure they're THAT hard to care for. The one those people had was really quite pleasant, actually. Once he knew you, he seemed to enjoy being held.

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
And I'm not sure they're THAT hard to care for. The one those people had was really quite pleasant, actually. Once he knew you, he seemed to enjoy being held.
I read alot about them and they say is not hard to keep them is like keeping any other small animal.

Jsigmo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think the nocturnal nature of them was one thing they had to get used to. I guess it kept them up all night making noise on its wheel, etc., and then wasn't in the mood to do much during the day. That's kind of how I am, usually, though, so...

Gena

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's a common misunderstanding that rats are nocturnal, they are classified as crepuscular. That means they are most active at dawn and dusk. But as fancy rats are domesticated, they do adjust their sleeping schedule to their human's. My rats sleep by default and if I want to interact, I gently wake them. Or more likely they hear me moving around and wake up on their own to interact.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have never heard my guniea pigs making noises when it was dark in the house, they are not IMO nocturnal, unless you work second shift, come home and turn on the lights and in my case many years ago, I had an aquarium with a couple on my kitchen counter. When I would come home and open the refridgerator, and that would get them whistling because they knew that is where I kept the carrots and they needed a midnight snack. They were lots of fun. Alison

Jsigmo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's a common misunderstanding that rats are nocturnal, they are classified as crepuscular. That means they are most active at dawn and dusk. But as fancy rats are domesticated, they do adjust their sleeping schedule to their human's. My rats sleep by default and if I want to interact, I gently wake them. Or more likely they hear me moving around and wake up on their own to interact.
Sounds about like a cat! Our cats sleep 99% of the time. The difference, when we're home, is that they sleep on US.

I have never heard my guniea pigs making noises when it was dark in the house, they are not IMO nocturnal, unless you work second shift, come home and turn on the lights and in my case many years ago, I had an aquarium with a couple on my kitchen counter. When I would come home and open the refridgerator, and that would get them whistling because they knew that is where I kept the carrots and they needed a midnight snack. They were lots of fun. Alison
It was the hedgehog I was referring to as being nocturnal.

I should have specified that in the post.

Skunks are also crepuscular. But I see them waddling around at midnight, too, though, so that's not a fast rule, I guess.

I think a lot of these small mammals are really pretty neat. The rats seem like they'd be great, and the guinea pigs we had when I was a kid were sweethearts.

I heard a story years ago on NPR about the popularity of prairie dogs as pets in Japan. Around here, they are common in the wild. They're incredibly cute. But they carry fleas and are often infected with plague, so one has to be careful.

Anyhow, they'd breed them and the ones raised in captivity were supposedly very affectionate and interactive with humans. The story was that they'd behave just about like a dog, running out from wherever they'd been sleeping to greet you when you came home. They supposedly like having a clay pot to sleep in and another one to use as their bathroom. They only go in their designated clay pot, and don't need to be trained to do this. I guess in their natural burrows, they have a separate chamber that they use for the bathroom.

At that time, and this was back in the mid '90s, they supposedly sold for about $550 apiece in Japan.

I see that they were suspected to be the vector for an outbreak of monkeypox back in 2003, so the FDA in the US banned them as pets. However, that restriction has since been lifted.

However, around here, they're considered to be pests due to the plague and their borrowing. So people and cities eradicate them. If only they knew they could be getting $550 apiece for them!

OP
T

Thetanknwebie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks everyone! My apartment is on the 23rd floor so it is considered a penthouse. In my building, penthouses have a private, grassy yard on the ground floor behind the pool. I fenced-in my yard and turned it into a tortoise pen. That's where I keep my tortoise and grow his food.

I was hoping for a pet that was awake during the day. I used to have a hamster and I wished he would have been more active during the day and a little quieter at night. I researched keeping a hedgehog but I really like having a pet that's awake during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Weekly

Votes: 46 65.7%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 13 18.6%

Top Bottom