Guidance re 3 males to 1 female cherry barb ratio Question

Discussion in 'Cherry Barbs' started by SueN, Mar 18, 2010.

1. SueNNew MemberMember

Due to losing 2 female cherry barbs in QT, I now have 2 males in QT and one female and one male in the main tank. I'm a bit concerned regarding the situation once (if) the males make it through QT and what would happen to the poor lone female available to them. Do I keep them in QT, get more females in to another QT tank and then introduce at the same time? (I am getting really frustrated with the cherry barbs, although I love them... may have to find another supplier)

Thanks! Sue

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Hi Sue

I would put the males in the main tank when the time comes and move the female to the QT. Then, you can go get a few more females and when they are through quarantine, add them all to the main tank.

I keep all my barbs close to an even split, with an extra female or two.

3. SueNNew MemberMember

Hi Jaysee,

Thanks for the reply... it does confirm my suspicion that the lone lady among 3 males wouldn't be a good idea. I'm a little confused as to why I'd move the female out and the two males in....putting her through two moves? Is there a specific reason to do it this way? I do have another cycled QT tank that will free up in about another week that I could put females in, leaving the two boys currently in QT in their current tank and then moving everybody in together when the time comes.

Sue

4. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

The reason i suggested that was in order to spare the female from the stress of the pursuit of 3 males. moving the female twice isnt a big deal imo.