Guianacara stergiosi - anyone have any info?

Discussion in 'American Cichlids' started by midthought, Apr 19, 2010.

1. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

So perusing Craigslist, I found someone in my area selling some Guianacara stergiosi. I haven't contacted the guy yet, as I'm just curious at this point. My basic online research indicates that they are a dwarf South American cichlid that grows to 3 inches. Not finding a lot of other info though. Would one or two get along with my blue ram (or two) in a tank as small as 29g? Could they interbreed? Does anyone have any experience with these guys?

Edit: attached pic.
    Editx2: I found the most comprehensive info on these guys at some cichlid forums: . It sounds like they do best in shoals and get become bullies in community tanks. Also they're not so much dwarf as they are medium (some say 4, some 6 inches). Part of me really wants 55+ gallon tank for these guys, but it just ain't happening. Still, awesome fish. I hope they go to a good home.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Nice fish :) Does sound like you would need a bigger tank.
    Carol

3. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I don't know anything about them I'm afraid. Maybe you should send Btate a PM asking about them. He's really good when it comes to american cichlids, especially Geos & Gymnos.