Guess Who Just Ordered Another Tank! 10-38g Upgrade!

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My boyfriend wanted a bigger tank and was asking me about bowfronts, so I looked some up and found a decent deal at petsmart! The 38g marineland bow starter kit was on sale for 179.99.
But at checkout it was 170.00!
So I got it for a total of 186.21! Lol!
He's upgrading from a 10 gallon!!!!!

The tank will be kept at 76 degrees 7.5 ph
We will be stocking it with

6 platies (3 "dwarf")
8 sundadanio axelrodi
Maybe a handful (6-10) Dwarf emerald rasbora
2 dwarf crayfish
A handful of snails

He wanted some sort of goby as well but I'm unable to track down the species we were looking for...
Might sub for one of my plecos..
Going to heavily plant this tank in a similar manner as to the one we have now, but of course a lot more spread out and with room for more decor.
It's a shame Drake didn't live to see a 38 gallon tank to himself.
Wonder if I can vicariously stock this tank with boyfriend
Maybe he'll take my other indian loach.

Last edited:

MysticSkye

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lucky! I saw that deal, too! What were you guys going to put the tank on? I always struggle to find a decent stand for a good price. I thought about just looking for dressers or home decor pieces rather than a stand labeled "aquarium stand"

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lucky! I saw that deal, too! What were you guys going to put the tank on? I always struggle to find a decent stand for a good price. I thought about just looking for dressers or home decor pieces rather than a stand labeled "aquarium stand"
I was going to look when we went to pick it up... I found a listing for a 36 gallon bow stand for 84, but obviously a 36g stand probably won't work for the 38. I might just look into getting him a nice sturdy dresser as well, since he doesnt have anything but a little 3 drawer lol!
It'll probably take a month to finish the tank fully with cycling and putting together a decent scape.
Going to pick up another large sword, and some ludwigia and maybe even more bacopa or rotala today just so I can start trimmings before we even put water in the thing.
Oh! We'll also be moving his dwarf crays in there! So maybe not the dojo loaches... Lol! Might make snacks of them...
But there's a possibility for another betta maybe.. Have to up the temp too 77/78
Good thing I just bought extra heaters for my tanks too! So if his ever has problems either I can upgrade it since sometimes kits aren't adequate.

MysticSkye

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was going to look when we went to pick it up... I found a listing for a 36 gallon bow stand for 84, but obviously a 36g stand probably won't work for the 38. I might just look into getting him a nice sturdy dresser as well, since he doesnt have anything but a little 3 drawer lol!
It'll probably take a month to finish the tank fully with cycling and putting together a decent scape.
Going to pick up another large sword, and some ludwigia and maybe even more bacopa or rotala today just so I can start trimmings before we even put water in the thing.
Oh! We'll also be moving his dwarf crays in there! So maybe not the dojo loaches... Lol! Might make snacks of them...
But there's a possibility for another betta maybe.. Have to up the temp too 77/78
Good thing I just bought extra heaters for my tanks too! So if his ever has problems either I can upgrade it since sometimes kits aren't adequate.
Yea, I am always looking for stands or something sturdy enough to hold the weight. Right now, I have my 30g on the floor in my room :dead: My husband is pulling hair cause he doesn't quite get the thrill of owning, designing, and maintaining an aquarium. So, he wasn't too thrilled when I bought a 30g and placed it on our floor

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That’s going to be a cool tank!
You have Indian loaches? As in Botia dario?

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That’s going to be a cool tank!
You have Indian loaches? As in Botia dario?
Indian as in (possibly)
Mesonoemacheilus petrubanarescui,
and (for sure) Nemacheilus triangularis.
They're super cool!

This is my possible petruban as I call them

And this is the drift wood I just picked up for the tank!

Basil

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh they are cool. Remind me a little of dwarf chain loaches. Do they stay small?

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh they are cool. Remind me a little of dwarf chain loaches. Do they stay small?
Sort of, they reminded me of chain loaches too!
They can get between 4-4.7 inches, but I'm sure a few varietys not well studied get larger and smaller depending.
So decent sized, but not massive.
And apparently they love love zucchini!

Last edited:

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
We're geeting sand and rocks today! We were going to do the same black gravel and sand we already have, but my boyfriend decided he didn't like the paint on the rocks, and didn't want something synthetic like that in his tank.
So we're just going to do the commercial silica sand, and some commercial river pebbles for the back with the plants.

Our betta is being too agressive towards our platies so we removed her, and will be possibly reintroducing her when the 40 is set up.
Hopefully she will do better when she has more fish to pick on and a larger space.
If not, we've got a 10 for her to be in on her own now.
Silly girl! Hoping she calms down.
May have to use my larger female betta to dither her if even possible.
My large blue females is aggressive towards the other fish, but is basically "blind" when it comes to bettas who aren't the same color as her, that is until they become aggressive.
When any one fish in my tank starts getting erratic or aggressive, my big blue is right there staring at their face as if to say
"no, I'm the only boss here, stop throwing your tantrum"
And they tend to calm down pretty well.
But I also may not even have to do that.
She may calm down if we give her enough time, she's been alone for quite a while, so I'd likely get a bit frustrated with new overbearing friends too.

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here is what we are thinking for stocking.
Betta will stay with me in a 10 gallon.

8 Galaxy danios

4 Male endlers (for sure) (looking to purchase!) (Fishlore friends welcome! Will make a post in the near future.)
He really likes the green cobra (right?)
Amd I think he'd like spade tails and some other unique colors.
We may even up the endler number since he really likes them.

10 fire green tetra (for sure)

8 emerald dwarf rasbora

6 platy (must) 3 dwarf

1 dragon goby (must)

3 schismatogobius ampluvinculus (must)

We'll be going to our lfs later to check out some of their stock and really decide.
We wanted to go for sure with harlequin rasboras, but he liked the emerald better, so we'll go with them.

We decided to put it on a stand we already have, and just covered the chests lid with two pieces of cardboard from the box, and a towel. Now it's time for sand and pebbles! Some of our pebbles are really nice looking, bright green.
Perfect for our Taiwanese goby.

Will likely add a flat black poster board to the back, maybe paint a few leaves on it.
Will help a lot.
Might add some on the side too.

Progress day!!! Sand is in the tank as we speak! Yes!!!!!

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here is what we are thinking for stocking.
Betta will stay with me in a 10 gallon.

8 Galaxy danios

4 Male endlers (for sure) (looking to purchase!) (Fishlore friends welcome! Will make a post in the near future.)
He really likes the green cobra (right?)
Amd I think he'd like spade tails and some other unique colors.
We may even up the endler number since he really likes them.

10 fire green tetra (for sure)

8 emerald dwarf rasbora

6 platy (must) 3 dwarf

1 dragon goby (must)

3 schismatogobius ampluvinculus (must)

We'll be going to our lfs later to check out some of their stock and really decide.
We wanted to go for sure with harlequin rasboras, but he liked the emerald better, so we'll go with them.

We decided to put it on a stand we already have, and just covered the chests lid with two pieces of cardboard from the box, and a towel. Now it's time for sand and pebbles! Some of our pebbles are really nice looking, bright green.
Perfect for our Taiwanese goby.

Will likely add a flat black poster board to the back, maybe paint a few leaves on it.
Will help a lot.
Might add some on the side too.

Progress day!!! Sand is in the tank as we speak! Yes!!!!!
Yay, congrats. Can’t wait to see it set up. Also, off topic...loving the statues to the right!!

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yay, congrats. Can’t wait to see it set up. Also, off topic...loving the statues to the right!!
Right! I love all his Egyptian statues. A lot of the stuff was his moms.

We've got the substrate in!
Of course it will change when the wood comes in, we've got it soaking now.
We have an idea to try to put two pieces together and make a moss tree towards the middle/right back corner or the tank.
We'll also likely stand up our cholla wood to make a more dynamic look.

Here's the tank for now!
Might try to fill it up, but I'm concerned about the smell coming from the hose. It's very heavy in chlorine and possibly other chemicals.
Of course will be dosing the tank with tons of prime.
When we switch the tanks over, we'll be putting our current media in the back of the penguin filter, might even have our old filter run in there for a short while too.
I'm trying to convince boyfriend that bioballs and ceramic rings are more cost effective than purchasing a small kit carbon filter every so often, but I guess I'll just stock his filter with them myself since there's so much room for media in there.

The back is a multi layered sand pebble mix, and the front all sand.

Last edited:

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Right! I love all his Egyptian statues. A lot of the stuff was his moms.

We've got the substrate in!
Of course it will change when the wood comes in, we've got it soaking now.
We have an idea to try to put two pieces together and make a moss tree towards the middle/right back corner or the tank.
We'll also likely stand up our cholla wood to make a more dynamic look.

Here's the tank for now!
Might try to fill it up, but I'm concerned about the smell coming from the hose. It's very heavy in chlorine and possibly other chemicals.
Of course will be dosing the tank with tons of prime.
When we switch the tanks over, we'll be putting our current media in the back of the penguin filter, might even have our old filter run in there for a short while too.
I'm trying to convince boyfriend that bioballs and ceramic rings are more cost effective than purchasing a small kit carbon filter every so often, but I guess I'll just stock his filter with them myself since there's so much room for media in there.

The back is a multi layered sand pebble mix, and the front all sand.
I like the mixed substrate! I’ll be following along...so fun starting a new tank!

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
We got half our stock!
I wasn't expecting there to be any dwarf emeral rasboras at my lfs, but there just happened to be!!!! So we picked up 8 of them, brought down the number of galaxies to 6, the platies brought down to 5.
2 dwarf females, a dwarf male, and a hifin blue, and a likely to be normal sized plain female.
She had ich though, so I've got her in a 1 gallon being treated. The others are all in their own 5 gallon bucket being qt'd as some of the smaller ones had sunken bellies.
I didnt get a video of the galaxies as their stress washed out colors were nothing special, but the emerald still looked somewhat cool.

He's decided he likes the endlers who are multi colored, red/orange to pink, with yellow and green as well.
The ones at my lfs were el tigre and some others I forgot the name of. He wasn't interested in them.

Yay! The fish are all quite young, all under an inch and some under half an inch.
It will take a little bit before our tank looks even a bit full.
We might even up the numbers a bit in the future if we're able to handle it.

Might not fill the tank up today, but we also might. We'll see how it goes.
We're supposed to go hiking in a bit.

Wonder how long it will take the driftwood to water log.
Likely a few weeks.

Here's the rasboras!

An hour later.... The tank is filled!

Last edited:

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Screenshot_2019-06-08-22-58-17-1.png

And..... We have a planted tank with 3 dwarf platies! Yay!
Our ich baby moved up from a 1 gallon to a 10 qt today and is doing well, all the rasboras are doing well and alive. They will both start moving to my 12 gallon as a qt tomorrow (I hope) to check for any visible problems.
They were both in the much healthier nano tanks rather than the main stock tanks at the lfs.
I'm surprised all of these plants planted the tank so well.
I think I added about 6 root tabs under the heaviest feeding sections.
The crayfish seem to like it, I hope that they are well enough oxygenated down there, the female was actually scared to go over the edge and drop down into the tank, so I coaxed her with my finger.
This is the blue lights, since it was really late and we needed to go to bed anyway.
I'll get some white lights tomorrow, as well as update my guppy post.
Got a few photos for that one.

Scape subject to change with driftwood. Might add some crystal rocks. Debating.

Instead of white lighting, we have the rooms lighting. Platies were sleeping on the floor
Promise lighting today! And a better photo in general! The bow makes some photos look odd and the blue looks like there's a bacterial bloom lol

Last edited:

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
We took a few plants out for the pea puffer tank, and added more monte carlo.
Not sure if I have any good pics of the whole tank.
I mostly took videos I guess.
We took in an injured brook trout so it can heal before we release it back into the river, it's doing well and is pretty cute. Wish we could keep him.

But the real reason for this post, is BABIES!
So apparently, while the rasboras were in QT at my house, they decided conditions were favorable for spawning, and I ended up with a few babies.
I originally found 3, but was only able to hunt and catch two.
Hardest babies to catch by far. Ridiculous.
Also, they're no bigger than a neelde eye... Literally the smallest things and I can't believe I was able to see them.
Been looking for the third for quite some time with no luck.

The snails in the 38 love the squashes we've given them! we also got a clutch.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom