Guess Who Crashed Her Cycle Again

1. Lauradesu

Lauradesu Valued Member Member

So my tank is crazy right now the levels are now all out of whack and I'm wondering if I should do a 80% water change to see If it will change any of the levels at all. Daily water changes arent doing anything chemicals arent doing anything and I'm pulling my hair out. No im not over stocked and I really need to know if it's worth the 80%

2. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912 Valued Member Member

I’d caution against 80%. Can you post your levels? Are you doing a fish in cycle? I’d recommend doing a 50% water change.

3. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

I had to start the cycle again I'm at 0 ammonia 2.0ppm nitrites and 80ppm nitrates it's been like this and higher for two weeks it's not going down at all with any sort of water change

4. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912 Valued Member Member

I’d try to get some sercan prime. It helps detoxify ammonia and other harmful chemicals.

5. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

6. Jellibeen

Jellibeen Valued Member Member

What chemicals are you using? I’ve heard some ammonia-blocking chemicals mess up the cycle, though i would need someone else to confirm which ones do that.

7. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Do you have fish in this tank? If so you need to be careful not to lower your nitrates too quickly, as that can actually kill fish. Fish are more tolerant of high nitrates then they are of quick nitrate swings.

What chemicals are you using? When you say daily water changes are doing nothing for your levels, how large of a water change are you doing and have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.

8. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

My water naturally has no ammonia or nitrites or nitrates. I've been using seachem prime aquavitro remediation api stress coat and aquavitro seed.

9. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

This time I really did do nothing. Yesterday I thought of doing a water change didnt do it. Over night my nitrites went from 5.0ppm to 0 and my nitrates from 80ppm to 0 and I have no ammonia. What.....is........going.....on

10. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

I really hope for your sake they are false readings!! I wish you were my neighbor I would give you some media from my tank and end all your frustrations!!!!

11. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

I dont know how nitrate can go from 80 to 0 over night. Only if you have some nitrate remover in filter or a load of plants. If you don't have fish add ammonia and monitor. Do test again, btw. what test do you use?

12. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

Did you repeat the nitrate test? No ammonia and no nitrites is where you want to be. It is normal for the nitrite to just all of a sudden be gone hopefully to never be seen again. That is what happens when one has enough bacteria to convert the ammonia to nitrites to nitrates. With enough bacteria one should never register either ammonia or nitrites because the bacteria processes it so quickly.

I am sure you already know it but your tank should read no ammonia, no nitrites and some nitrates. If your nitrates were in fact up to 80 yesterday then they are still there if they weren't removed by water changes.

I am just assuming that your profile is up to date and you have goldfish in this tank. Please correct me if I am wrong.

13. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Yes you are correct, I do have goldfish and one bushy nose pleco (hes small though) I tested this morning and I'm not kidding you I shake that second nitrate bottle up so much that my arm is sore after a minute of doing it I got 0 nitrates I also have a seachem nitrite nitrate test which Is extremely accurate even it was registering at 0. Now I know a tank can function at 0 nitrates as long as there is zero ammonia and nitrite. Last time I tried to jump start a cycle again it went into psycho cycle mode and I was at 5ppm nitrites and 160ppm nitrates and 0 ammonia. I can jump start it again but I'm going to be a little bit more cautious using aquavitro synthesis because it put my filter into overdrive over night. I've basically had no luck with my 50 gallon where my 15 has just been running so smoothly and cycled perfectly and I'm not doing anything different than what I did in the 15.

14. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

No way you have 80ppm nitrates one day and zero the next. The ONLY way that can happen is if you removed the fish and did a 100% water change. Nitrates at 80ppm dont just disappear overnight.

15. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Even nitrate removing media takes several days, and it took my plants three weeks to remove 15ppm nitrates without water changes. Try testing again. You mentioned you shook the second bottle, but did you shake the vial for a full minute after?

16. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

I don’t even have an answer for this one. Can you te-test st least your nitrates and shake everything good?

17. mattgirl

I know each tank is different but this one has me scratching my head. You have a 15 gallon tank and if I understand correctly it is cycled and I am assuming it has fish in it. That tells me you know what should happen in a cycled tank and how one should be.

What I would do with this one is stop stressing over it. I know that is going to be hard to do.

Don't add anything other than Prime when you do your water changes. Test for ammonia and if it is there but below .75 add prime. If it is higher than .75 do a water change and then add prime. That's it. Test for nitrates in about a week or even better wait 2 weeks. You have tried everything else. Hopefully you will give this a shot and hopefully this tank will get itself on track.

18. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Threads have been merged to keep all the information in one place, it gets very confusing having multiple threads on the same topic

19. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

I just shook the bottle like a paint shaker both of my arms hurt from doing it, I also shook up the nitrite bottle for good measure. I retested with my api master kit and I've got 0.50ppm of nitrites and 5.0ppm of nitrates and I'm praying to what ever deity can help me that this isnt a false positive because I've been sitting here pulling my hair out trying to figure out what in the world is going on with this tank. It goes from one amount to lower to higher every day.

20. mattgirl

What exactly are you adding to this tank? If you have/are adding any kind of bottled bacteria these confusing readings may be caused by something you are adding.