5 Gallon Tank Guess What

kellerjake2004
You guessed it, my aquarium water is cloudy. I have a 5 gallon walstad tank thats been set up for around 2 months now. The water was originally a brownish color when I first set it up, which I've read is normal for dirted tanks, but now the water is white and cloudy. The last time i checked all of the water parameters were low and the ph was a about 7.5. The tank is planted and otherwise inhabited by hitchhiker bladder and ramshorn snails. Does anyone know why this is happening? Are there any suggestions on how to fix it?

KartoKartofel
You have any pictures?

kellerjake2004
KartoKartofel said:
You have any pictures?
I'm not home right now but i'll post some later

YellowGuppy
It sounds like a textbook case of a new tank going through a bacterial bloom in my opinion. Hold off on water changes for a week or two until it clears up on its own and all should be well.

kellerjake2004
YellowGuppy said:
It sounds like a textbook case of a new tank going through a bacterial bloom in my opinion. Hold off on water changes for a week or two until it clears up on its own and all should be well.
Even after two months?

YellowGuppy
kellerjake2004 said:
Even after two months?
Especially around two months. Bacterial blooms are most common around 4-10 weeks after setup, give or take. You're in the prime window. Doing a panic water change right now could make things worse, so just let it do its thing for a bit and resume once it has cleared up.

kellerjake2004
YellowGuppy said:
Especially around two months. Bacterial blooms are most common around 4-10 weeks after setup, give or take. You're in the prime window. Doing a panic water change right now could make things worse, so just let it do its thing for a bit and resume once it has cleared up.
I'll do that then. How long should I wait? And thanks for your help!

YellowGuppy
It'll likely be a week or two. If all you have currently are a few snails you should be absolutely fine to not do any water changes or top ups for a while until it stabilizes.

Latest threads

Top Bottom