Guess the fish and win a prize!

1. Jackie Frost Member Member

Well no ...there is no prize, but while I was at my LFS I saw a cute, white gourami looking fish with red-eyes. This fish was very friendly (he liked to follow my finger on the glass) and was about 2 inch long. The store clerk who seemed to be knowledgeable about everything else had no idea what breed of fish was and guessed he was a gourami of some kind. I really would like to purchase him, but I want to know what I'm getting into before I do it. Does anyone here recognize the breed?:;dk

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

3. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Did it have long ventrals like a gourami?
    The red eyes make me think of a Flowerhorn.

4. jgon_ Well Known Member Member

red eyes also makes me think possibly a juvie albino oscar. They are very interactive.

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

oh ya!!!!!! great suggestion! :happy0034:

6. Jackie Frost Member Member

Oh no not an Oscar! I remember Oscars from my childhood. He ate up every fish we ever had. Even the so called 'big' fish. At the end my mom took him back to the store!

The clerk at 'Aquarium Fanatics' thought he was an Gourami but wasn't positive. (His main focus is on salt-water fish, that's how he excused his ignorance.) Come to think of it, the fish did look like an albino of some sort with the very white scales and blood red eyes. He had two long whisker type things. (I know Oscars don't have those. I don't think goldfish have them either.) Do Gourami's have them?

I got an early Christmas present of a new digital camera. Maybe I'll take pictures of my mystery fish on Friday and post them. Of course if I see him again I may be tempted to purchase him ...

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

yes gouramis do have tentacles...a pic would be great!

8. Jackie Frost Member Member

I'm thinking now that it's an albino dwarf gourami. I looked at some pics on the web. By no means am I sure and I plan to post some pics the moment I can. Either way I don't know if I can resist purchasing him. He seemed so adorable and friendly. Not shy at all.

9. AwNuts Member Member

by any chance did that fish look like this?????

i got two of these in my tanks and they are golden gouramis, they have blood red eyes and are freaken awesome and frendly. they follow your movements specially during feeding times and they will eat from your hand. if you notice they have two whiskers under the body

147.jpg

148.jpg

10. Jackie Frost Member Member

Yes! He looked exactly like that except he was pale white instead of gold with red eyes. Uh-oh. Does that mean he will be too big for a 15 gallon tank?

11. AwNuts Member Member

ah then just a regular gourami.

i love the golden ones alot im in the process of finding a blue gourami and possibly flames ones as well.

they are awesome to have.

it shouldn't be a problem for it to be on a 15 gal, you should be fine

12. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm not sure what the reason is for this post (which I have deleted). :;sh
    If you meant to put a period at the end of your sentence in the previous post, you can use the edit button. :)

13. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I have a gold gourami and hes 6 inches long..if you keep him as the ONLY fish, he should be ok in a 15g tank....they do not play nice with others though...but i still dont think hes a gold..i still think he is a kissing gourami ...have you got a pic yet?

14. aquatic mouse Well Known Member Member

I love gouramis. Mine liked to pet my cory's with they're tentacles! It was too funny!

Does it look like one of these? 1st are kissing gouramis, 2nd is a platinum gourami.

Attached Files:

15. AwNuts Member Member

lol sorry my response posted twice so i went and edit the double post and just put a period so moderators wouldn't tell me why im double posting.

it can't be the kissing gourami as he stated that the fish had blood red eyes. second pic for sure

16. aquatic mouse Well Known Member Member

Couldn't it be an albino kissing gourami?

17. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Sorru to go off topic here Jackie.
    I hope you figure out what kind of fish you saw.
    Really, a picture would help end the guessing. :)

No problem. If you double post, you can delete the second one.
    Also if can multiple quote in a post using the quotations mark button ( " )
    found next to the quote button.

You'll get used the the different forum tools, no worries. :)

18. Fishies-for-me Well Known Member Member

Albino giant gouramis 'Osphronemus goramy' are white with red eyes...and if it was a baby would be small to...lol. If that is what is I doubt it would fit in a 15 gallon..I mean literally...lol.

19. Jackie Frost Member Member

I'll post a pic the moment I get the chance. As a matter of fact I was going to post one today but I had a little ahem ...hand washing problem. I did a 50% water change and will get the fish tommorow. I hope he doesn't end up being a giant gourami or a baby piranah or anything like that.

20. jgon_ Well Known Member Member

We strongly suggest you don't buy your mystery fish before he can be positively identified...:-\