Guess that disease!?

Sb092

Guess that fish disease!!!!!

Ok, I have posted several different posts about this issue. Not many replies so posting agin to see if I get more replies.
I purchased my first (and only) Otocinclus maybe two weeks ago. When I put him in tank I took a pic of him with the flash on. He had real pretty gold speckles or dots. At first I thought what a pretty design on a fish, he has gold on him, guess I picked a winner. Jose (Otocinclus) would rub his face on some of the fake plants.
It was not until my betta started to rub on stuff and then lay at the bottom of tank that I realized something was wrong. I researched, became a member of this forum, and decided it was probably velvet. My betta did develop a rusty brownish/redish film over head. Took some great advice from this forum and did a flashlight test. I settled on velvet because of the gold on the oto and the behavior of both fish showing signs of “flashing”.
I also have a rabbit snail. Therefore I settled on api general cure because it is safe for both scaleless fish and invertebrates. I do have a rather small tank (please do not lecture; Im new to this and only wanted to provide a classroom pet for my students; only allowed a 3.5 gallon).
I am now learning alot about what it takes to care for fish properly. I do not want to have to flush a fish because I was ignorant and mis-informed by pet store staff. I started api general cure Friday 26th of june. Did second application yesterday. Tomorrow is clean day or water change day according to medicine directions.
My betta Julio is doing much much much better and is even taking food again (when he wasn’t that is another sign that made me know he was sicky). Jose my oto is now showing signs of what I think might be Ick. Since api general cure is supposed to work on both ick and velvet, I am shocked to think the oto Jose has ick now. Is this even possible?????

Here are a few photos (best i could get folks):
Guess that disease begins now........

Attachments

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Sb092 said:
Guess that fish disease!!!!!

Ok, I have posted several different posts about this issue. Not many replies so posting agin to see if I get more replies.
I purchased my first (and only) Otocinclus maybe two weeks ago. When I put him in tank I took a pic of him with the flash on. He had real pretty gold speckles or dots. At first I thought what a pretty design on a fish, he has gold on him, guess I picked a winner. Jose (Otocinclus) would rub his face on some of the fake plants.
It was not until my betta started to rub on stuff and then lay at the bottom of tank that I realized something was wrong. I researched, became a member of this forum, and decided it was probably velvet. My betta did develop a rusty brownish/redish film over head. Took some great advice from this forum and did a flashlight test. I settled on velvet because of the gold on the oto and the behavior of both fish showing signs of “flashing”.
I also have a rabbit snail. Therefore I settled on api general cure because it is safe for both scaleless fish and invertebrates. I do have a rather small tank (please do not lecture; Im new to this and only wanted to provide a classroom pet for my students; only allowed a 3.5 gallon).
I am now learning alot about what it takes to care for fish properly. I do not want to have to flush a fish because I was ignorant and mis-informed by pet store staff. I started api general cure Friday 26th of june. Did second application yesterday. Tomorrow is clean day or water change day according to medicine directions.
My betta Julio is doing much much much better and is even taking food again (when he wasn’t that is another sign that made me know he was sicky). Jose my oto is now showing signs of what I think might be Ick. Since api general cure is supposed to work on both ick and velvet, I am shocked to think the oto Jose has ick now. Is this even possible?????

Here are a few photos (best i could get folks):
Guess that disease begins now........
General cure is not the best for ich or velvet. Its really only good for some external parasites and internal ones. You need a bigger tank whether you want to hear it or not. You should have a school of around 6 Otocinclus and having only one will stress it out and lead to more problems.

OP
Sb092

Sb092

RomanNoodles96 said:
General cure is not the best for ich or velvet. Its really only good for some external parasites and internal ones. You need a bigger tank whether you want to hear it or not. You should have a school of around 6 Otocinclus and having only one will stress it out and lead to more problems.
Thanks. If I could have a bigger tank I would. I thought velvet is a parasite? So api general cure will not kill velvet or ick? What can be used then to kill either, that will not kill a snail??

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Sb092 said:
Thanks. If I could have a bigger tank I would. I thought velvet is a parasite? So api general cure will not kill velvet or ick? What can be used then to kill either, that will not kill a snail??
Aquarium salt would work but you have a snail. If you can change the Temperature on your fish tanks heater than increasing it to around 80 will help. You can probably find an article on treating ick or velvet that could explain it better than me. Hope your fish get better

New Threads