GSP's in a 55gal

1. David C Well Known Member Member

I'm planning on setting up a new 55gal tank next month some time and I would like to do a species tank with GSP's. Various articles I've read said that two can be kept in the tank as long as it's heavily planted and properly aquascaped.

Is it practical to put two in a tank or is it merely the ramblings of the uninformed?

If anyone has any other must-read articles besides those on this site (I've read them), I would love the links. Extra research never hurt anyone.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. jgon_ Well Known Member Member

It might be hard to heavily plant a GSP tank. They require high salinity brackish to full saltwater, and very few plants will be able to survive. What is very important you do is make their environment complex. Add lots of rocks and structures, breaking up line-of-sight and also giving them something to explore. A bored puffer will just pace up and down the glass.

4. David C Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the links aquarist48, I always enjoy a good read.

jgon, I understand the tank will have to transition to a full saltwater to match the natural progression of the fishes lives, just means I will start with a planted tank and have the pleasure of re-aquascaping repeatedly to match the increasing salinity. I have clinical OCD so the little things like continually researching new environments and re-designing a tank are huge plusses.

Dave

5. jgon_ Well Known Member Member

If you transition slow enough, some hardy plants like java moss and fern should be able to handle it.

6. pinkfloydpuffer Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with jgon. One thing I'd like to add is that you should be doing at least 25% (if not 50%) waterchanges weekly if you'll be keeping 2 GSPs in a 55. :) GSPs are my favorite pets, I think you'll love them

7. David C Well Known Member Member

I have a good variety of java fern in my angel tank, so pilfering some for a new tank shouldn't be a problem. I had planned on the 25% weekly changes to match my current regime so that won't be an issue. I do have a question about pond snails. Will they survive in a brackish system or will I have to breed them in another tank. My loaches have reached an equilibrium with the snails in their tank so there are always plenty more to eat, but not sure if the snails will be able to complete their life cycle with salt being present in the system. I would really like to just establish a population of snails and let the fish keep it manageable. Anyone have any success with this?

Dave

8. jgon_ Well Known Member Member

You will have to breed them in another tank because they won't last a second with the puffs. Once they find a snail, they will go on the hunt and find everyone even if their bellies are full as can be.