50 Gallon Tank G’s Gold fish adventure.

grantm91

Starting a thread for my goldfish, I'm not a new comer on FL I have been here a couple of years. I'm more saltwater orientated now but have always kept fw too. Two days ago I shut down my 50 gallon fw tank and gave away the guppies. Plan was to start up an angelfish aquarium as I’ve always wanted to keep them.
now lol, above is a little gold fish tank, inside is Anubis plants and two fancies ? My partners dad found them dumped in a water tank on the allotment so I took them in. They really have grown on me so I have decided instead of the agro of getting into a new type of fish id enjoy these guys enough and have fun scaping the big tank for them and just keeping the. Maybe getting two more ? If anyone is a long time Goldie keeper and can share some knowledge on their experience with keeping plants successfully with them that would be great. Anything really from types of goldies and the sizes as there is more contradictory info out there on goldies than there is on reef keeping I have found.
that will be the tank with the fluval 207 for filtration, its been a great filter ! Ive used the fluval 06 canister range and I’m loving the 07.

mimo91088

Good for you for saving them! Well done. :)
My water cows will only leave anubias and vals alone. They've eaten literally everything else I've tried.

grantm91

mimo91088 said:
Good for you for saving them! Well done. :)
My water cows will only leave anubias and vals alone. They've eaten literally everything else I've tried.
Thanks, that's so good to hear as I love the Anubias and it only went in with them yesterday. Il get a ton more when they move. I shall give vals a google now.

BevM

My daughter has two goldfish and they eat everything except the anubias. They especially liked the rotala I gave her!

grantm91

BevM said:
My daughter has two goldfish and they eat everything except the anubias. They especially liked the rotala I gave her!
I'm liking what I’m hearing. I was scared for my anubias lol, thanks for your input !

aussieJJDude

Hardy plants seem to do the best (anubias, java fern, val, crypts). Duckweed is a no go, they love it - but may be useful in growing duckweed for them to snack on?

grantm91

aussieJJDude said:
Hardy plants seem to do the best (anubias, java fern, val, crypts). Duckweed is a no go, they love it - but may be useful in growing duckweed for them to snack on?
Thanks, Il keep them in mind too, a bit of gourmet greens lol

grantm91

They are in the new tank, media transferred too. So I decided to use totally RODI for this tank. I copied the water params of the tank they were in. GH to 9 - DGH buffered with seachem equilibrium. KH to 5 DKH with standard salifert buffer. Have I missed anything? Its my first time re-mineralizing for FW. I'm scared its deficient in something somehow ? Also I got two weather loaches ! Harry and Marv lol. The goldfish are called Bert and Ernie

grantm91

They are doing fine. Got a new member.
a kirin calico dragon eye named chunk

mimo91088

I love chunk!

grantm91

mimo91088 said:
I love chunk!
Thanks man ! Was love at first sight lol, came from ebay, I checked the seller out and it looks to be the best dealer in the uk ! Some amazing goldies that ive not seen anywhere. Westview goldfish for anyone wanting to check them out. I also put a fluval planted 3.0 above this tank today too.

mimo91088

Btw, I'm still testing it so I can't speak to long term, but mine have been leaving alone the bunch of java ferns I put in for 2 weeks now.

grantm91

mimo91088 said:
Btw, I'm still testing it so I can't speak to long term, but mine have been leaving alone the bunch of java ferns I put in for 2 weeks now.
Thanks, will be trying it as others have said that too

grantm91

Some photos, all are doing great. A simple cold water aquarium and I watch it more than my Reef.

TheeLadyG

Greetings from a fellow G! haha... This is looking good. I've found that Goldfish with a good environment are SUPER active fish. Mine are all over the place all the time, poking around for anything edible or just exploring. Give them a big space and they are SO much fun to watch. Plus they go all over the tank. I've got 2 in a 75gG tank, 4 feet is a nice amount of swimming space for these big finned beauties~!

ChikoritaTheAxolotl

grantm91 said:
They are doing fine. Got a new member.
a kirin calico dragon eye named chunk
I love him! He is so beautiful!

aussieJJDude

Looking really good. I love the simplistic scape, it works well for the goldies.

grantm91

Thanks guys, I actually have other wood soaking currently for the other side of the tank.

That's my new lion head Ranchu

aussieJJDude

Cute lil lionchu! Hopefully the neebie settles in nicely.

grantm91

Hope all the fishloreans are staying safe, the goldies are all doing great tank looks nice too.
My lionchu has a reminder for you all. Lol

mrsP

I agree with your lionchu! :D

Jennalovesanimals

grantm91 said:
Hope all the fishloreans are staying safe, the goldies are all doing great tank looks nice too.
My lionchu has a reminder for you all. Lol
Your tank and all your goldies are beautiful! I have a 40 gallon with a 6 inch black moor, 6 inch oranda, a little bottom feeder,
and 3 inch fat little calico fantail and I love them! I keep my tank pretty empty though.. they just have white sand in there.. they uproot every plant and even tore apart moss balls! Little turds haha.. I tried a hard scape at one point but they had trouble swimming around it and I eventually returned it I’ll attach a pic of them.. nothing compared to your tank but I love it anyways
Ps sorry the green background and bad lighting makes it look a little blurry

grantm91

Jennalovesanimals said:
Your tank and all your goldies are beautiful! I have a 40 gallon with a 6 inch black moor, 6 inch oranda, a little bottom feeder,
and 3 inch fat little calico fantail and I love them! I keep my tank pretty empty though.. they just have white sand in there.. they uproot every plant and even tore apart moss balls! Little turds haha.. I tried a hard scape at one point but they had trouble swimming around it and I eventually returned it I’ll attach a pic of them.. nothing compared to your tank but I love it anyways
Ps sorry the green background and bad lighting makes it look a little blurry
I love your blackmoor ! There all nice, my tank is a a little crowded to be honest but no more fish now it really feels complete. Ive had no issues with the anubias the leave it well alone, a good plant, I think its the best for goldies

Jennalovesanimals

grantm91 said:
I love your blackmoor ! There all nice, my tank is a a little crowded to be honest but no more fish now it really feels complete. Ive had no issues with the anubias the leave it well alone, a good plant, I think its the best for goldies
I agree Anubias is the best
Also thanks, I really love my black moor! He was the first fish that got me into the hobby

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom