G’s 2.5g Pico Reef Build.

grantm91

So today I seen one of those little Fluval spec things for just £10. 5cdad3ec34fc69fc3a115f121826aa2a.jpg

So I grabbed it, intending to sell on.

I get home and realize I have a nano light, for low light corals by TMC and some dead Rock. 4e4d2ed83881f0f2fbbde42899693a9c.jpg

So I’ve decided to throw something together, kicking a few ideas around, nothing solid yet, but it will probably involve some fragging from my 32g and an invert, thinking fire shrimp.b0e353205dc172cf239de06d09b48d16.jpg

Last edited:

puffer boi

So today I seen one of those little Fluval spec things for just £10. View attachment 387944

So I grabbed it, intending to sell on.

I get home and realize I have a nano light, for low light corals by TMC and some dead Rock. View attachment 387945

So I’ve decided to throw something together, kicking a few ideas around, nothing solid yet, but it will probably involve some fragging from my 32g and an invert, thinking fire shrimp.
cant wait to see pictures

grantm91

I did attach pics, but there seems to be an issue with the forum.

puffer boi

I did attach pics, but there seems to be an issue with the forum.
Pictures of the shrimp I saw the photos of the tank

Culprit

This is going to be so cool! I'm betting massive zoa garden hmmmm? Hey what app is that? I know you use it a lot and get some great deals off it.

grantm91

Culprit its called shpock, some gems on there from time to time, I didnt even want another tank haha. I guess it will be fun, plus cost next to nothing as you can see I have 90% of the stuff.

Culprit

Nice! I'll check it out. craigslist only has so much. I think you'll enjoy this one. I saw frag your zoas and make it a massive zoa garden. I saw some crazy super bright red/pink ones I fell in love with

grantm91

Il cure the huge amount of rocks in a jug haha, il also throw some bio media in the hob on my 32 to get established, then set it up when the rocks are ready, as they were live, now dead.

I will just see what I can frag, I will be having the green palys as I find them to be interactive, was thinking a head of torch on the end of that branch lol, we will see.

Your jar is so cool haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Culprit

Your jar is so cool haha

Thanks grant I think you'll actually enjoy this a lot. I love my jar right now mainly because I don't have my big tank but I still think ill enjoy it a lot even when I set up the big one. I'm hoping the gsp thrives and I'll get some zoas and pulsing xenia for some movement

grantm91

Tried replying to your thread yesterday, but the forum is playing up bad for me, I was just going to say how cool it was, and say I have no advice for the float valve haha. Good job on it though, was a surprise to see it out of no where.

Culprit

I know I just came up ith it out of the blue. Thanks!

grantm91

Got the rocks curing BIG scale lol. fd3a81f1a7a6a4882e08e52fd44ba67f.jpg also got media sat in the HOB of my 32g, so nothing exciting for a bit yet. Well actually, for me this one is exciting look, 4ecdb8adddf24bcb0a05a588a0c6dec3.jpg can't wait for this.

Esimm03

£10 for that tank!!!!!??!??
That is so cheap, how do you find these deals? All the good deals seem to be really far away from me or have ended

grantm91

All I do is type in the search bar fish tank, then I set the thing to in the last 24hrs, I look every time I go on my phone or when I’m bored, only paid £40 for that 120 litre rimless clear seal on my other thread too, its just about looking, I find it fun just looking to see what people are selling, but obviously some things you should just get.

Esimm03

All I do is type in the search bar fish tank, then I set the thing to in the last 24hrs, I look every time I go on my phone or when I’m bored, only paid £40 for that 120 litre rimless clear seal on my other thread too, its just about looking, I find it fun just looking to see what people are selling, but obviously some things you should just get.

I don’t think I’d have room for any more tanks, I already have 7. But I do have a 20Litre I’m getting for Christmas that will need stocking.

Ethan

grantm91

20 litre, you doing a pico reef? Or fw, if fw I always fancied a pygmy sunfish, rather than the typical betta everyone would put in a 20 litre.

Esimm03

20 litre, you doing a pico reef? Or fw, if fw I always fancied a pygmy sunfish, rather than the typical betta everyone would put in a 20 litre.

Hi,
I’m doing a 20Gallon freshwater ,
I’m thinking if a big school with some smaller fish like molly type things and a big centrepiece. I’d probably do a DG , I noticed you were selling a fire mouth pair, what would their minimum tank size be?

Ethan

Culprit

Do a big school of small tetras like embers or green neons. YOu could fit 20 in there and a DG. Nope on the firemouth in a 20

grantm91

Oh I thought youmeant 20 litres lol. In a 20 gallon id do like culprit suggested. Except I don’t like gouramis, maybe a Ram of some sort ? Or aspistogramas ?Also, I used to hate live bearers, but you can get some snazzy guppys.

Ah, by the way, Xbox62 what heater do you use for your tiny reef, as all the small ones I looked at have bad reviews, I don’t know which one to get, also, hows that tmc light working out too, Il be using the same one, as I had it lying around, is it good for your softies. ?

LJC6780

Culprit its called shpock, some gems on there from time to time, I didnt even want another tank haha. I guess it will be fun, plus cost next to nothing as you can see I have 90% of the stuff.

I’m betting the cost won’t be nothing when it’s all said and done! Lol nothing in this hobby ends up being cheap ... except you do have a nice supply of cheap frags over there!

Hi,
I’m doing a 20Gallon freshwater ,
I’m thinking if a big school with some smaller fish like molly type things and a big centrepiece. I’d probably do a DG , I noticed you were selling a fire mouth pair, what would their minimum tank size be?

Ethan

I wouldn’t put a bunch of mollies in a 20 gallon ... they are big waste producers.

I have one of these in my 2.5 gallon hex tank. This, a sponge filter, live rock, pods, asternia stars, tiny brittle stars ... lamp next to tank. No corals or anything.
2 X 25 Watts (Tank Size: 5 to 8 Gallon) Adjustable Aquarium Heater Anti-explosion Submersible Fish Tank Water/ Temperature Range 18~33'c (65°f and 93°f.)

Esimm03

Do a big school of small tetras like embers or green neons. YOu could fit 20 in there and a DG. Nope on the firemouth in a 20

I was planning neons as they are cheap but I’ll have a look at my lfs

Ethan

Oh I thought youmeant 20 litres lol. In a 20 gallon id do like culprit suggested. Except I don’t like gouramis, maybe a Ram of some sort ? Or aspistogramas ?Also, I used to hate live bearers, but you can get some snazzy guppys.

Hi,
I like the aspistogramas, I’m heading to my lfs to buy rocks and driftwood, and possibly reserve fish.

Ethan

grantm91

LJC6780 I came up with a similar solution to the heater you linked, as that one is not an amazon UK. e7cd37bdc624160a1b8776afbecd7c3d.jpg although its a cheap brand, its the only one small enough that is adjustable, all the other small ones are automated to 25*C, I don’t like the fact they are automated, the reviews all either say the none adjustable ones are rising above 30 or staying 22 and below.

Esimm03

LJC6780 I came up with a similar solution to the heater you linked, as that one is not an amazon UK. View attachment 388928 although its a cheap brand, its the only one small enough that is adjustable, all the other small ones are automated to 25*C, I don’t like the fact they are automated, the reviews all either say the none adjustable ones are rising above 30 or staying 22 and below.

I have had one very similar to the pic (bioorb) and I can say it’s really good

Ethan

grantm91

I added the most liveliest dirty little piece of rock rubble from my 32 display to the curing Rocks, just to see what happens. 581279fdbcdac3b642314df37075643d.jpg there is Coraline, pineapple sponges, and some form of neon green sponge on it, I think a stomatella or two aswell. Excited about this pico Reef, you can't really buy hitch hiker stuff, but I have a display full to bring this little thing to life.

Culprit

Wow that rock is seriously ENCRUSTED. A little gem in there haha

grantm91

Encrusted indeed culprit, turns out its some sort of palythoa on closer inspection haha. 7f66bd01d1288f39c9ba3657dc7daeda.jpg

Put the tiniest amount of reef roids in, to try and support them a little, I’m reading ammonia and nitrite in there, quick to get nitrite, as I only put them in about 4 days ago, Just literally nothing but dead Rock and tank water.

Culprit

Any updates?

stella1979

I'm hoping for updates too! Hoping Tapatalk is making life a little easier for you Grant!

Esimm03

I'm interested to see how it's getting on too

grantm91

Yes on the tapatalk stella, its way better. Funny you guys should ask, no updates really but I was picking water up today and was talking to carl about it, I'm thinking of just selling it, as there is a lot I want to do to My 32g. 9b9277f504c8079514435fe2378046ec.jpg the rocks are still curing, there is a stomatella flying around in there and the paly things are growing lol.

Not decided yet, the thing is I can make money on it now, rather than putting money in then deciding I don't want it, the media is still in my 32g hob filter and everything will stay as is for now, I think il have to get the gf to help me decide, although I think she is straigh for it, as she misses having the 16g cube on the nest of tables right next to us in the living room by the sofa. 7b4a93d2a0a5bced480e3e8755cad4bc.jpg because that spot is 2 feet away from where we sit 90% of the time. I don’t know lol.

stella1979

I don't know either Grant... but I definitely see where the gf is coming from. I find myself watching the reef from the couch all the time.

Culprit

I can see both sides of the decision. Its gonna be a hard decision. I know even now where my reef is in the main room I'm always watching it/glancing over at it.

grantm91

I'm keeping it. 826590ae41e6aa6265d471d9eb8b1567.jpge4e7f900521dcd90e24d82659ba18ce6.jpg

Its a nice little addition to my corner lol, plus Ive had a new plan too, which I’m determined with to make this project worth while and more of a challenge, but I need to do more research. Ive always loved the harlequin shrimp. So my new plan is to use the back part as its an AIO, as such, e40ff0648a7692f222d4d5133ed46acb.jpg just fill that compartment with nothing but rubble and my heater, and place asterina stars in there for the first first few months and hope they multiply enough for me to add the shrimp in the display part. Il have the asterinas to catch from my display too. Il have the rubble to easily pick stars from to feed the shrimp, if it works out.

That's the theory anyway but il have to see how fast the stars actually multiply before getting the shrimp. f9d5d58b7c2048045b02e5b93c958dcb.jpg also swapped for a grow light on the jug to encourage algae to feed my stomatellas lol. I could maybe also loan the shrimp out to people to help with the feedings.

grantm91

Grow light has worked. The stomatella have food. 157e2477143f4e8754b591d892662ded.jpg

Also added an asterina star yesterday, not a sparkling example of one but it appeared on the live rock rock today.
5817a66c96e1e3bfc321a35e8403f8f6.jpg444cd922e7ebba8f9c6578b7926edc12.jpg also wondering what the purple bumpy thing is, it looks cool, never seen one before.

grantm91

Grow light has worked. The stomatella have food. 157e2477143f4e8754b591d892662ded.jpg

Also added an asterina star yesterday, not a sparkling example of one but it appeared on the live rock rock today.
5817a66c96e1e3bfc321a35e8403f8f6.jpg444cd922e7ebba8f9c6578b7926edc12.jpg also wondering what the purple bumpy thing is, it looks cool, never seen one before.

Culprit

Wow I think you have the livest rock I've seen yet grant. Wow its crawling haha. I'd be nervous to pick it up!

grantm91

LOL culprit, I don’t know if you seen this one before but its a favorite of mine and puts the live in live rock for me lol f95806c1bf781cfc66eae7a8920ffba3.jpg also I think it must be a mushroom on that rock ?

Culprit

Oh cool! So your shrooms spawned? And yeah I'd seen that. Made me shudder haha

grantm91

I don’t even have any mushrooms but what else could it be ? Ive never seen it before either, its on the underside of the rock.

stella1979

Are you talking about a purple bumpy thing that's almost centered on the rock? I was wondering about the purple bubble looking thing next to your thumb in the first pic of the asterina? Eeek, I thought, is that purple bubble algae... no idea what either of them are, but you've certainly piqued my interest here. Hope it turns into something beautiful!

grantm91

Notification issue, but yeah stella that is purple bubble algae, its in my display too, I was referring to the central thing though as it is really quite cool looking. KinsKicks is ok with imposter ID isn't she.

stella1979

LOL... Imposter ID, that made me giggle. You always do Grant, and YES, Kins is great with ID. Also, this link has been helpful to me. I may have shared it with you before, but here it is again. This page is what finally positively id'd the ghost polyps as a type of tunicate. Though perhaps you have the beginning of a beautiful coral there instead of a hitchhiker! Hope this turns out better than the ghost polyps.

KinsKicks

Idk about great, but I try my best haha...takes an imposter to know an imposter

Is it soft or hard? A bit small to be for sure, but it could be the start of a purple sponge or even purple coralline. Maybe if you’re lucky, a coral like echinata or montipora haha (but in this case, it probably won’t thrive if it doesn’t have its wanted conditions)

And woopee on a pico! It’s going to look so aweosme <3

grantm91

Its slimey, like a purple mushroom but with a titer grip and zero lift, it would not budge, il check out that link now, only just got a notification again lol.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom