Grumpy Gill - Depressed Betta

Melissa Wedin
Hello, I need help with Gill. He was in a one gallon with filter, no heater cuz I control the temp of my fish room. I now have all 3 betta splendens in a divided ten gallon. I have two females and Gill. He is on the end. He can see them cuz he has black divider. He seemed depressed in the one gallon. I thought maybe he would liven up in the ten. He just wraps himself around his diy filter. Each have their in there section. He eats when I put his food in his face. The water is perfect them. Can they get depressed.

Aqua 59
Yes, they can, just like any animal who is lacking something. Do you have decorations in your tank? Bettas love them. I think he would do better in the 10-gallon, with a few more decorations?

Melissa Wedin
Yes, they can, just like any animal who is lacking something. Do you have decorations in your tank? Bettas love them. I think he would do better in the 10-gallon, with a few more decorations?
Yes I have owned for some time. I have never had one be sad like this. I thought being in the same water as other bettas he would be more active. As said his side is blacked out so he can't see nugget be he can see me all the time. I spend a lot of time with my fish. I even take the time hand feed all 4 that I have left. Unfortunately I had to up one down with clove bud oil he was just too sick with cloudy and pop eye and a few other issues. He got better at one point then his was damaged some how and it popped but he got to know love and clean good water and heat. They all have betta buddy's, plants and moss that I collected and grew out for over month. It has greatly increased the quality of water for longer and keeps algae at Bay, also add lot of oxgen to the water, they do not surface as often as bettas. He is actually in 2 more gallons of water. They each have about three gallons he is not showing any physical sgins of any illnesses. I saved him from Walmart. Two kids thought it would be cool to make him another I saved fight in pretty food soup water. I could hardly tell there was 1 fish in there let alone 2. Chaos is at my brothers, he is a beautiful crown tail. I couldn't even tell cuz he had no tail, and he is a beautiful Ruby fire red with hints of blue. Gill has colored out extremely well too, his wounds have healed. I thought he was white and purple he burned so badly. He use to be active and would love his picture taken and was making bubbles nests. He hasn't mad a nest in about 3 weeks now. I put a few snails in with him so he had someone to pick on,lol. He just isn't interested in anything. Not even dinner time. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Repolie
Can we see a picture of him and his section of the tank? Also male bettas can't be kept in a divided tank with female bettas because the male releases hormones which the female can sense that there's a male near by and starts producing eggs to prepare for mating and when she can't mate with a male, she becomes eggbound which has a lot of problems that comes along with it.

Melissa Wedin
Can we see a picture of him and his section of the tank? Also male bettas can't be kept in a divided tank with female bettas because the male releases hormones which the female can sense that there's a male near by and starts producing eggs to prepare for mating and when she can't mate with a male, she becomes eggbound which has a lot of problems that comes along with it.
That is good to know. He is pretty relaxed male. I might try to put him with my guppies. I have had several males in with them it really does depend on the fish I know that much. This where normally is or he is behind his heater which I'm not a fan of.
1533360889412.jpg

Repolie
What's the tank heated to? What are your water parameters? A clearer picture of him in a lightened area please? Try adding some more floating things in his tank such as a betta log, betta leaf bed or something like Hornwort which is a very easy plant to care for. What do you feed him?

Melissa Wedin
Yeah sorry my phone sucks with pics. Their tank temp is 80, pH is just under 7, 0 amm, 0 nitrites, and 0 nitrates, all my tanks get a 5-10 percent water change daily.

What's the tank heated to? What are your water parameters? A clearer picture of him in a lightened area please? Try adding some more floating things in his tank such as a betta log, betta leaf bed or something like Hornwort which is a very easy plant to care for. What do you feed him?
For being in a small city I do have great water quality. My pH out of the tap is always 7.5 or 7.3. There water is hardish soft. Everyone else good. Idk he had some of the most badly burned gills I have ever seen in my life. I'm sure that effects him.

This is gills side. Unfortunately I just learned he would make my female Deb get egg bound. I don't want that. The pill bottle never had pills in it it was clean bottle never used. I have a hook up for them, cuz they are awesome for dIY filters. Each one has one. That is the whole tank. Two girls and my boy.
1533395009115.jpg
1533395141563.jpg

techfool
It's my belief that breeders are able to keep their fish active and healthy in one gallon containers by letting the fish see each other regularly. Can be you do that or use a mirror or feed live food or frozen with tweezers. Could be boredom.

Repolie
The surface agitation looks strong, so he may not be liking it. Try to slow the air flow down. His section is also pretty empty. Heavily decorate it to make him explore.

Melissa Wedin
The surface agitation looks strong, so he may not be liking it. Try to slow the air flow down. His section is also pretty empty. Heavily decorate it to make him explore.
I was thinking of removing his. Each one can handle about 5 gallons. The girls play in theirs. He dosent have much cuz his lil fins are still healing. I have only had Gill for a month. This fish was legit having a beer with devil on his porch. I can't believe I was able to save him

Repolie
Yeah I would just remove it then. The other 2 filters can make the surface agitation and it's blocked by the divider, so the flow slows down a lot. I would add lots of floating things to his tank because he seems to stay near the surface.

Melissa Wedin
Yeah I would just remove it then. The other 2 filters can make the surface agitation and it's blocked by the divider, so the flow slows down a lot. I would add lots of floating things to his tank because he seems to stay near the surface.
I decided to just move Gill altogether, for the health of my females, I am not set up to breed nor do I have a interest in to do so, Deb is a mature female, last thing I need is an egg bound betta. He is by my Nursery tank and my idk what to do with you five gallon tank with guppies. It's alil over stocked at the moment but in 8 more days I can release them to their new home knowing they are healthy. Grumpy Gill has his grummpy smile back. He was in this spot before just I had other tanks set up and he was kind of tucked away but not, I always spend at least a 30mins with each betta daily. He has a almond leaf and some pedals I ripped off an old plant that are floating and he likes that big green plant I figured fluffing out for now was the best I can do for now. It's better than being in a Walmart cup, he has a minI internal filter.
1533416518331.jpg

Melissa Wedin
I decided to just move Gill altogether, for the health of my females, I am not set up to breed nor do I have a interest in to do so, Deb is a mature female, last thing I need is an egg bound betta. He is by my Nursery tank and my idk what to do with you five gallon tank with guppies. It's alil over stocked at the moment but in 8 more days I can release them to their new home knowing they are healthy. Grumpy Gill has his grummpy smile back. He was in this spot before just I had other tanks set up and he was kind of tucked away but not, I always spend at least a 30mins with each betta daily. He has a almond leaf and some pedals I ripped off an old plant that are floating and he likes that big green plant I figured fluffing out for now was the best I can do for now. It's better than being in a Walmart cup, he has a minI internal filter. View attachment 463170
Now that I moved Gill and add more decore he has now ripped up his beautiful fins!!! Like legit all he dose is sleep or freak out. His water temp is good his ph is good, zero ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates. His water is on the softer side. I took out what think he cut them on.

Repolie
You should only keep silk or live plants with bettas. Most others would rip their fins. Also beware of rocks and driftwood, make sure it's always smooth.

Melissa Wedin
You should only keep silk or live plants with bettas. Most others would rip their fins. Also beware of rocks and driftwood, make sure it's always smooth.
Lava rock is covered with moss. Idk how he squeezed himself under it. There are in there for bio purposes all the rest of the exposed rock is smooth.

Melissa Wedin
It's my belief that breeders are able to keep their fish active and healthy in one gallon containers by letting the fish see each other regularly. Can be you do that or use a mirror or feed live food or frozen with tweezers. Could be boredom.
All of my fish get live or frozen foods. I don't believe in dry foods at all. I don't think it boredom. He sleeps all the time. Then when you get close he freaks out.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Prism
Replies
Views
dansamy
Replies
Views
Ouskamp
Top Bottom