grump

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have done everything I can do but I simply cannot make Nereas happy. He is healthy, he makes huge bubble nests, the water is warm and clean...He just wont swim. He will chill under his floating plant for hours. Sometimes I look just to make sure he is alive. I am thinking of getting him a small tank it nothing changes, he was must more active in the 2.5gal ???

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wierd. Was there anything in his old tank that he might be missing? (a bubble wand, a snail, I don't know-- anything he liked to play with...)

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
nope, everything is there and more. I am told some bettas simply don't like a lot of room. It doesn't seem to make sense...but I can't have a limp bored fish. He needs to be active

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am guessing whoever said that about Bettas not liking space was a salesperson --you're right it doesn't make any sense.

Since nothing has changed inside the tank, is there anything external? Is the new tank in a different room? Oh also how long has it been since you moved him?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nate has adopted a corner in the big tank and is not swimming all over the 12 gallon. The bettas in the 5 gallon tanks are much more active actually. The currents in the water bother him I think.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's a good thought about currents. Although, Fuego has quite a bit of current in his side of the tank and doesn't mind at all (but then, he has a lot less finnage to carry against a current than Nate does...)

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
No I was told that by one of the people at ultimatebettas.com ... but since many of them have 40bettas in less than 5gals of water so I take everything they say with a grain of salt.

It has been about a month and a half now and he still a grump. I think I will just exchange his tank with a smaller one. He has never been sure active but he would at lease swim when he was in the 2.5gal

(he doesn't have a filter, I just do a lot of water changes)

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it also might be some bettas feel insecure in a big space. In the wild they live in small rice paties, not saying bettas should not be kept in bigger tanks..but maybe hes out of his confort zone

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They have many great filters for small tanks now if you want to put one in the 2.5 gallon.

58 gph

40 gph

I have used all of these but the first one and they are really good.  They all work a little differently so it is up to you how you want the filtration to work.

Rose

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have seen those I am just broke for a little while. spent my last 20 on a new heater.

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
well I put him in my spare 1gal while I was cleaning his tank he loved it. I guess I am just going to have save up some money and get a 2.5gal :

For the moment I am keeping him my 1gal (in a warm room with many water changes)

I figure is he is actually swimming and blowing bubble nests he must be somewhat happy.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Have you tried adding lots of live plants?  Lots of live bushy plants will provide cover for a nervous fish . If you don't have a lot of stuff in there he may just feel too vulnerable. That's why he's hanging out under the floating plant. I wouldn't go down to a 2.5 gallon. IMO that's just too small. Maybe try a well planted 5 gallon. If he has a filter causing a lot of current on one side of the tank he may just avoid that side of the tank. Try using filter floss to slow down the flow from the water outlet.
None of my fish like big open spaces either so I keep all my tanks well planted. It gives them the feeling that the space is not so big and they can hide from potential predators.

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I tried filling the tank up with decor, and I tried taking half out. The filter isn't a problem for him, he likes water currents. If I can find a decen't priced 5gal I will get him one, right now I am searching for one.

I think he is still better off in a smaller area if it makes him want to swim more. After recently reading that the number one cause of early death in bettas is lack of exorsize I cannot just keep him in a tank where he will sit still for several hours at a time. I find it incredibly odd that he doesn't like a large tank. He is the first betta I have ever met that will not swim in a 10gal

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Decor usually only fills up the bottom half of the tank. Bettas like to hang out at the top. Maybe some large leafy plants that reach to the top will make him feel better. I wouldn't give up on him so fast. Something must not be right for him besides the fact that it's a larger tank. It's just a matter of figuring out what it is.
Maybe the tank could even be divided into two 5 gallon halves. My males became a LOT more active when they had a female neighbor.

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have put in floating plants,long plants... I have tried every combination in the world and it just wont work. I think my mom would kill me if I tried to get another betta :-\

I will try and let him swim in Thomas's tank for a few days and if he is ok with 5gals I will try for that. I know this is something you hear all the time from people but I would rather him be in a larger tank but he simply refuses to comply ???

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
How has Nereas been doing? I ask because Dory seems lethargic in his new, bigger tank too. I wonder if this is common?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As a lot of people are saying here, every betta is different. It could be that he just has a personal space limit and it is exceeded in the ten gallon. That is too bad. If he will accept the 5 gallon that would still be okay. I am betting you will find one of the bettas will take to the bigger tank.

I had thought of moving Alexander to one of the bigger tanks but he loves his little log and plants and the otos in that tank and I needed to put the cories in the big tank so he is staying in the 5 gallon tank and seems to be very happy there. Nate is going crazy in the 12.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom