grrrrrrrr mini cycle

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I started my q tank up 3 days ago, placed some seeded filter media in there, and everything was fine, today noticed the fish were not acting the same. check the nitrites, and ammonia .25 So I did a 50 percent water changed doesed with prime, and we will see where i am at tommorow. If the nitirtes and ammonia shoot up, i will take the fish out of the q tank and add them to the main tank. No use having a fish in a q tank if your gonna kill it.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Why are the fish in Q? The mini cycle shouldn't last long. Ime, a few days of water changes sets things right.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
sorry lucy let me clear some things up. The fish are brand new so I always put them in the q tank for a week or two. Yesterday I checked the water, and everything was fine. Today I noticed something was not right, and when I checked the parameters I got the above reading.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh ok, thanks fof clarifying.
Prime will detox for 24 hours and along with daily changes, you and the fish should be fine.
Can you add a handful of gravel from your established tank?

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Same thing happened to me in my Q tank. It balanced out after a couple water changes though. Everything's copacetic now.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ooh, Caroline, your turn to teach me stuff. I have to look up copacetic. Thanks!

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is vocab I learned from middle school but only retain because of a song by Local H.

cm11599ps

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a mini cycle going myself. In an effort to bring my nitrates down I guess I ended up cleaning the gravel too well. Tanks been a bit cloudy since. Ammonia was .5, nitires 0 and nitrates 40.

I just did a 50% WC and changed out the carbon in one filter and rinsed the sponge in the other filter in some tank water. Water still cloudy but ammonia now 0, nitrites at 0 and nitrates at 20.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm with Lucy on this, wing. I would do water changes with Prime to get things under control, and keep the fish quarantined for a couple of weeks.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That is my plan lol, I also added some of the ceramic rings from my aqua clear filter on my community tank. that tank is cycled and has been running great for 4 months, so hopefully that will help also. Lucy I did add a handful of gravel as well. Thanks everyone. Oh I know what I forgot, it goes to show you how well fishlore educates folks. When I started I would not of realized something was wrong until the fish go belly up. Now I can look at the fish, and know something is wrong. OH ONe last thing, will prime mess with the api reading for ammonia since im dosing a little extra.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
wait 24 hours to test, so right before your water changes.

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
x

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads