Grrrr...tired of finrot on my Angels 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by AlyeskaGirl, Apr 5, 2010.

1. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Basically the title pretty much sums it up! It has been a ongoing thing with my Angels for months which are prone to it due to their long soft fins and I am fed up with it and did some major cleaning today! I've read that that bacteria is like ICH, it's already in your tank waiting or it's introduced by other fish that are infected and gets in through their feces if the new fish are not quarantined. I've tried Melafix & water changes quit a few times but it just ends up coming back. Stress, overcrowding, fish that are not compatible can lead to aggression with fin-nipping, the wounds are an ideal breeding ground for the bacteria. But all my fish are compatible, water parameters are 0,0 and some nitrAtes and I do weely water changes of 25% with gravel vac. The finrot was caused by not properly cycling the tank over a year ago , so bad water quaility is the cause, I didnt know then. I read taking out all the ornaments and bleaching them was a treatment thus will be eliminating breeding grounds for the bacteria. So, I basically just took out all the decor, fake plants and bleached them. Whiped down the inside of the tank and did a good gravel vac because there was no way I was going to take the gravel out and bleach that. The filters I did not touch. I will be adding Melafix daily with small partial water changes for at least 10 days and see how this works.

wish me luck!

2. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Good luck!!

3. OP
    OP
    A

Thanks Meenu!

I can't believe I did this, lol

4. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Do you think you overcleaned? Could cause a mini-cycle, but probably worth it, I would think.

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

A year is a long time...were those fish exposed to the cycling process?

6. OP
    OP
    A

Yeah, I know what you mean, I've been chewing on this idea for about two weeks or since I found the article. No, I'm not worreid about a mini-cycle since I didnt do anything with the two filters and left the gravel. But I will be testing the water to make sure.

7. OP
    OP
    A

Only one out of three Angels caught in the process. I tried using TSS which didn't work for me. It's only the Angles I am having a tough time with. The anal and dorsal get eattin only so far then begin to grow but then it starts all over again. So it's not bad. Two of the Angels had what lookd like "bite" marks recently on their tails which then the tail grows back quickly. I just want them to have their fins the way they are suppose to be.

I even tried treating them in a q-tine tank with Tetracyline twice awhile back, it would go away, I left them in the qtine for almost a month before I put them back into the main tank only for it to return. So I am assuming it's in the tank?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Hmmm.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice