GRRRR Mini Cycle

1. stashattack Member Member

So I have noticed recently that my fish are less active then usually, but I attributed it to them just being a really small schools. But I had a hunch this yesterday that it might be the parameters. And I tested and it shows I am going through a Mini-Cycle. >.<

Last night the parameters were:
    Ammonia: .25
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrates: 20

So I did a 50% water change and double dosed with prime.

I checked the parameters again just a few minutes ago and the numbers are going up :(

Ammonia: .50
    Nitrite: 0-.50
    Nitrates:0-20

Ugh, since I dosed with prime last night, I don't plan on doing another water change until I get home. I was planning on doing 10-25% for the rest of the time until the tank is recycled. Does this sound like a good plan?

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Have you done anything recently to the tank? Any ideas as to why it happened?

3. toosie Well Known Member Member

Testing for ammonia, nitrites or nitrates when using Prime can give you falsely high positive readings. Always wait 24 hours after using Prime to test the water, so test it again tonight to get a more accurate reading.

Have you changed out any filter media recently?

4. stashattack Member Member

E=Jaysee;1293293]Have you done anything recently to the tank? Any ideas as to why it happened?[/QUOTE]

I did add plants, took out one of the rocks, reaggranged things, and changed food. Now to come to think of it, I pulled up a lot of food during this water change. I guess my fishies are picky eaters and are not a fan of the new food. So I guess the cause could be "overfeeding?"

O, haha I didn't know that about prime. I'll check again tonight then. I haven't changed out any of the media, besides taking out the carbon and not putting a new carbon sack in. I've kept the same sponge and biomax in since I got the filter, plus old media from my older filter.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

That sounds about right to me :) When switching foods, I find it best to fast the fish for a couple of days first - you'll see their attitude change real quick ;)

Bacteria colonizes the carbon too, so removing it does compromise the filter - one of the reasons I suggest the carbon be on top, where there is less food (hopefully none :) ). It's always best to fast the fish after making changes to the tank, to give it time to get balanced again.

6. stashattack Member Member

I did fast them... They are still being picky :/ Silly fish. I even tried giving them blood worms which they usually gobble up and they didn't touch those either :( So while this cycle goes through I think I'm going to start fasting them again. It should help the cycle anyway, correct?

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

yes, it will help things balance out. Fish don't eat when they are stressed, so that's probably got something to do with it. What's the new food?

8. stashattack Member Member

Aqueon color enhancer. They like the Aqueon Tropical Flakes so I figured they would like this too... Boy was I wrong.

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

yeah, nothing fouls the water like uneaten flakes.

10. stashattack Member Member

Yeah I can imagine.