GRRRR Guppy Finrot

zerotona
ARGH. The guppy we got on the weekend has infected the tank with fin rot. I thought I caught his early, as I gave him a salt bath and it seemed to get better and I treated the entire tank with melafix as a precaution. It seems like it's spread to another one and possibly a second gup. They're my favourite guppies

I know, I know.. I should have a quarantine tank. Lesson learned.

Anyway.. best method of attack? I know I can get tri-sulfa here, would that be effective? Is it alright to treat the three affected ones together?

I have a spare filter and I can just use a large plastic container to medicate them but I'm going to need a heater right? Would a 25w heater be suitable for a 10 litre container (2.5 gallons)?

I'm surprised it spread to the others because the water quality is perfect (testing regularly) and I've never had nitrates over 5. I also use livebearer salt so I really thought they'd be okay. Hmm.

Callum The Cat
25 watts would work upto 25 litres what kind of tank are we talking about ?

Peace Out Callum!

zerotona
I'm going to get a plastic container from an el cheapo store, like a dollar store. They always have loads of them.. so about 10 - 15 litres. I believe 10 litres is 2.5 gallons, if I am calculating it properly.

It's pretty cold here atm (Tassie) so there's no way the water would be kept at their usual temp (~26 degrees C) without a heater.

COBettaCouple
you don't have any air-labryinth fish in there like bettas or gourami do you?

trisulfa aka triple sulfa is what we use for finrot, along with an anti-fungal product called Rid-Fungus.. to cover both types of finrot.

a 25w heater would be good.

zerotona
Nope, I have all livebearers. How can you tell if it's fungal or bacterial fin rot?? On the new guppy, the ends of his tail have gone a transparent colour but it's not really white, it's greyish. On one of my existing guppies his tail has been split in a couple of places but it's hard to tell if the ends are greyish because he never keeps still long enough, but I do think the ends look more raggedy than normal.

The new guppy has as chunk out of his tail and a split which cleared up after the salt bath. But this afternoon he developed another split, it's hard to tell though if it's from the fin rot or just the lateral line splits they get sometimes when they've been chasing each other.

I doubt I can get the Rid-Fungus in Australia and it doesn't list the active ingredients so I can't try and find an equivalent one. The range of fish meds here is nowhere near as extensive as you have in the US and some of the meds are only available via a vet *sigh*

edit: I could try Pimafix for fungus and it's natural so it probably wouldn't be too harsh to combine with the Triple Sulfa. I wonder if anyone has ever successfully eliminated it with a 7 day melafix / pimafix combo. I just feel awful subjecting them to meds that will knock them around.

zerotona
Oh GREAT. I just looked at my fish again and my two platies also have big splits in their fins. How will I get this bacteria out of my tank? I can medicate them in a bucket of sorts but should I take out the two healthy ones and the fry and just medicate the entire tank??

I know split fins doesn't really sound like fin rot but the new guppies fins keep splitting so it's definitely a symptom of whatever type of fin rot he has.

Will tri-sulfa kill the bio filter?? It took me so long to get it set up I am so annoyed.

zerotona
An update:
This morning my platies fins have healed, one of my original guppies tail is healing and the other original guppy has gotten no worse. Two guppies remain unaffected. The new guppy hasn't gotten any worse and may have gotten slightly better although the ends are still greyish.

I did a ring around of LFS' to see what medications they had on hand. One guy told me to flush all the fish down the toilet! Then he changed his mind and mentioned some medication he had that I was thinking about buying anyway. Myxazin by Waterlife? Safe for the filter, baby fish and quite effective for fin rot according to google.

COBettaCouple
the information on Rid-Fungus can be found here.

- a brief description of fin rot indicators.

zerotona
Thanks for the links From the wikI link I would say it's definitely bacterial as the edges aren't white at all.

That rid-fungus sounds like good stuff. I definitely can't get it locally and haven't seen it for sale on Aussie websites (order from the US would cost $$$$ in postage and may be confiscated at customs). We really seem to be sorely lacking in fish meds here so to cover both bases I'm going to use pimafix for fungus, melafix and an increased dosage of salt in the tank and I will see if there are any improvements. The only other fungus options I have atm are malachite green based products which I heard stains and I feel I need to treat the entire tank at this stage

COBettaCouple
Novalek (makers of Rid-Fungus)

you might want to email them & find out if they distribute products there, perhaps under another brand name.. and if they don't, let them know they have a big market there waiting for their products. ;D

zerotona
Actually I will do that.. I have noticed a few suppliers sell things under different names here. It makes it kinda confusing. That and the fact that no one really seems to know anything at all about fish, lol. Today someone tried to sell me ich medication.

COBettaCouple
I think that's an international phenomenon - the manager of the big chain pet store in my home town once suggested pregnancy as the cause for a bloated stomach to a customer who had a male betta at home & was looking for meds.

Actually I will do that.. I have noticed a few suppliers sell things under different names here. It makes it kinda confusing. That and the fact that no one really seems to know anything at all about fish, lol. Today someone tried to sell me ich medication.

zerotona
I think that's an international phenomenon - the manager of the big chain pet store in my home town once suggested pregnancy as the cause for a bloated stomach to a customer who had a male betta at home & was looking for meds.

oh my..
we have a chain store here like a bit like that. I always feel bad looking at the fish in there because they have really obvious signs of disease and are kinda swimming on the spot in suspended animation almost

as for my fish - the fin rot is no worse after melafix and pimafix for a day, but i'm not sure what happens to the grey edges when the fin rot is gone. what I mean is does it stay grey for a few weeks until it heals or does it drop off when the infection has been eradicated? I guess i'm not really sure what i'm looking for in terms of beating the disease, other than noticing it hasn't gotten any worse.

COBettaCouple
we've only treated bettas for fin rot, but the affected fin areas usually fall off early in treatment. but that's treating with antibiotics and we treat for 10 days or more usually. but it's a good sign when the rot falls off, it clears the way for regrowth to begin.

i'd treat as the bottles direct and watch for signs of fin regrowth.

zerotona
I did a 50% water change and swapped the medication to Myxazin. I didn't add any more pimafix or melafix. After the first day of Myxazin treatment, the fin rot in my other guppies has gone completely. The new guppy has a couple of splits still but the chunk out of his tail is healing. Because it is healing grey, I believe the grey parts are his normal colouring. He did have fin rot though because the splits did have all have red edges and more splits were developing but they've stopped appearing all together.

I just thought I'd post an update for anyone who ends up searching for fin rot treatments, because when I have searched and someone says they're treating a fish in a certain way a lot of the time they don't make another post to say whether the treatment is working lol.

The Myxazin is a mild antibiotic so I'm not really concerned with adding it so soon after the melafix and pimafix. It actually says you can add it to the tank when you introduce new fish as a precaution, and it seems pretty well tolerated by my fish

COBettaCouple
;D great to hear they're on the mend. that's a med i've not heard of before, but sounds like something to go in the fish cabinet there.

zerotona
Thank you for your help

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Donskoi
Replies
Views
MacZ
Top Bottom