Grrrr!! Algae!

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay, I am so fed up now!!!

Right, baby angel tank, had the T5HO light on while the parents were alone, small amounts of white dusty algae stuff, easy to control.

Angelfish spawn, swap light to original low light so they can be left on 24/7, green blanket algae- GRR!

Angelfish free swimming, parents out, switch back to T5HO, all green blanket algae cleaned away to start a fresh.

More brown horrible algae- angry Ben.

Clean all again, start new with gravel, and 5 small wysteria, 2 clumps of java moss

PRESENT DAY- Everything getting covered with brown dusty algae, moss has green stuff aswel!

So, you may tell me the tank isnt mature- the tank has been set up and cycled since November.
Also, previously, in November, when I got the adult angelfish, I had the tank with the T5HO and plants, NO algae what so ever!

I need a solution guys

Help lol.

Thanks
Ben

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've had my 29 gallon from Nov 2009 and I still get diatoms. Its not as bad now as say Feb but I still have to wipe a few spots every so often.

Chris123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Have you tried turning off the lights for a few days?

Chris

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The brown stuff is most likely diatoms, an indicator of insufficient lighting. They'll go away. The green stuff...I have no experience with them.

May I suggest a good algae cleaning crew: maybe 10 nerite snails and 10 Amano shrimp?

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
@ Chris- Lights off for a few days is a no go, the baby angels wouldnt be too healthy after a few days without their food.

@ Elodea- The lighting is 74W over a 34G tank
EDIT: snails sounds good

Chris123

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That's all there eating is algae?

I say go with the shrimp then if you don't want to turn off the lights

Chris

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oops, should have said that better.
I feed them brine shrimp eggs, but if I were to put the lights out I wouldn't want to feed incase they didnt eat it. Also, the babys, in my experience are more prone to swimming in tight spots in the dark, which means they could squeeze themself up the filter.
I have red cherry shrimp in my 8G so I might move some of those

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That sounds good, except then you'll have to go with a larger quantity of RCS because they're smaller..maybe 20 or so. IDK if the shrimp will get the diatoms, though, so you may have to get nerites for that.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I have about 18 shrimp and I can move them all
And then get a few snails- problem solved Hopefully lol

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads