Grreen slimey covering all over

1. J

JanineC New Member Member

A green slimey (algae I assume) overtook my fishtank. I removed all the fishes, ornaments and gravel, cleaned the plastic plants and wood and put everything back with new gravel. The tank has been running for 8 days and I ahve noticed that the green slime has almost covered the whole piece of wood and is starting to cover the gravel again in "patches". What could be the cause of this slime and how do I get rid of it and also prevent it from returning? I have a few small tetra's in the tank and a pleco, temp is 22 degrees celcius, light is on 24 hours a day.

2. 1thing

1thing Valued Member Member

I would say that your light is on too much of the day!!

try it for just 8 hours a day!!

thing

3. Delaneyw

Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

Cut the light. It's created an algae bloom. Fish need a regular day/night cycle just like us. They need rest too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. OP
    OP
    J

JanineC New Member Member

Thank you guys, will cut down on the light.

However, how do I treat teh existing slime "infestation"?

5. r

renthus Well Known Member Member

Whenever I hear slime, I think cyano, but that's just me. Anyway, cutting the light should cause the algae to just disappear. You may want to rub it off with your fingers or vacuum it up, depending on what it does as it dies.

6. SW5

SW5 Well Known Member Member

I think that the others have you covered on the algae situation, but I did notice in your profile that you said you did not know the nitrogen cycle. I highly recommend reading up on it for the well being of your fish.
    Here is a link to an article on it: https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

Good luck with getting rid of your algae issues.