Grr... Closely Similar Species

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so upset right now. I've been making a reference grid for tropical fish just to help me organize my stocks a bit better, which means I'm doing a TON of research. It has come to my attention that I currently have a couple species of fish that have look-alike species mixed in! :grumpy:

Hemmigrammus rhodostomus (Rummy Nose Tetra) and H. bleheri (Firehead Tetra). The only differences between the two is that H. bleheri has red that extends past the gill plates whereas H. rhodostomus doesn't really, and H. rhodostomus has a bit of black extending up the lateral line from the central black stripe on the caudal fin whereas it's almost non-existent on H. bleheri.

I also have Desmopuntius pentazona (Five-Banded Barb) and D. hexazona (Pentazona Barb). The differences are that D. pentazona has a small black blotch under the dorsal fin which is missing in D. hexazona, and D. pentazona also has a 6th bar right on the base of the caudal fin which is missing in D. hexazona.

This is going to bother me now that I'm fully aware! :shifty: I mean, I noticed these differences but I thought some Rummies had more red than others, and with the Five-Banded Barbs that the smaller ones just had different patterning compared to the bigger ones and would get there eventually. I'm thinking of rehoming the other species and stocking back up with the proper species. This may explain why they don't really school with each other all the time. :dead:

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Then you have ottos, chinese algae eaters, flying foxes and siamese algae eaters that are always mislabled.

Denison barbs are another but i dont know what tje otherone is but the red line is shorter and its aggresive not passive like the denison.

And we cant forget the jullii and false jullii corys as well as the half dozen different tyoe of khuli loaches that all look the same to me.

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Then you have ottos, chinese algae eaters, flying foxes and siamese algae eaters that are always mislabled.

Denison barbs are another but i dont know what tje otherone is but the red line is shorter and its aggresive not passive like the denison.

And we cant forget the jullii and false jullii corys as well as the half dozen different tyoe of khuli loaches that all look the same to me.
I didn't even know that about the Denison Barbs! Sahyadria chalakkudiensis is the name of the other one, apparently. Doesn't seem to even have a common name.

There's too many corys for me to figure out which is which. I didn't even know there were more than like two Kuhli loaches. Omg.... Why are there so many different species that look so similar? Goodness...

Guppy_Lover713

Valued Member
Reaction score
The other day I figured out neon tetra's had a very similar looking cousin, cardinal tetras. I had to double check my tetra to see if he is a neon tetra (which is what I thought he was). Cardinal tetras has a red strip on the bottom side of their body that spans across their entire body. Neon tetras on the other hand have a red strip on the bottom that only goes to the belly. Thankfully he is a neon tetra!

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I didn't even know that about the Denison Barbs! Sahyadria chalakkudiensis is the name of the other one, apparently. Doesn't seem to even have a common name.

There's too many corys for me to figure out which is which. I didn't even know there were more than like two Kuhli loaches. Omg.... Why are there so many different species that look so similar? Goodness...
I wouldn't even get into cichlids if the slight differences bother you lol. (Some are so similar the only thing to tell them apart is location.)
Not to mention all the bycatch fish that are included with others (like red base tetras are sometimes shipped in with rummy nose, but they aren't available except as bycatch!).
DSC03520.JPG

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't even get into cichlids if the slight differences bother you lol. (Some are so similar the only thing to tell them apart is location.)
Not to mention all the bycatch fish that are included with others (like red base tetras are sometimes shipped in with rummy nose, but they aren't available except as bycatch!).
View attachment 496732
Red base tetra? I've not heard of that. Very interesting.

I actually did want to get into cichlids, later though, LOL. Hawaii has perfect water for cichlids to thrive in so there's a pretty big community of cichlid keepers. I was mostly interested in a couple central Americans and possibly doing a lake tanganyika tank in the distant future.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom