Growths on Platy Fish

phillips66
Does anyone know what these growths are all over my platy? He's about 5 months old and was born in a tank that hadn't cycled yet (I didn't know about the cycle at the time) and he's always been a little stunted and slow. Is it contagious? Is it treatable? I have metro plex, API general cure, and some other medicine but I don't know what to use. He's is currently with three ghost shrimp and two nerite snails but I could move him to an empty 5 gallon with a sponge filter if needed. Thank you for any advice.

IMG_20191104_080947892.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191104_080947892.jpg
    IMG_20191104_080947892.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 39
Advertisement
Ronniethewitch
Because you've had no replies I thought I would have a go... it looks kind of bubbly to me... so I looked up 'bubble-like growth on fish' and judging by pictures alone, it looks like lymphocystis to me, which is viral. There is no known cure but you can manage it by providing a stress free life for your fish with a viral treatment once a week to put it into remission. Definitely hoping this reply bumps you into conversation with someone more knowledgeable! Good luck.

phillips66
Is it contagious?

Ronniethewitch
Not from what I've read but you might want to have a gander at the info yourself.

phillips66
Ok I took a video with my camera. It almost looks like fungus now. Any new ideas?

Ronniethewitch
I don't. Showed the first pic to my friend here who mentioned gas bubble disease. I can't enlarge the video on my phone to see it like I could with the photo. So I can't see what you mean about the fungus appearance.

Honestly, I'm going to bow out so that I don't give you bad information, but I'm hoping that this bumps you up so that we can get someone who knows their stuff to pipe in.

Whitewolf
Its got a bad case of lymphcistis, a virus. It may or may not die, and I wouldn't worry about other fish since they likely already have it if they have been in the same tank. Euthaniaze is up to you but usually fish carry this virus with no problem. If you ask me, its in our water supply, and every fish in every lake probably have it. Its no different than say, human oral Herpes

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jasont
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
WrenFeenix
Replies
Views