Growth pond fish

Sarah1230ox

Member
Hi, so i posted months back and no one really knew what it could be, its now gotten bigger and doesn't look nice at all, but how do you decide its too much for the fish? He still swims, still eats and seems okay but i dont know. We are guessing its a tumour and not much we can do to treat it! The pictures arent great but its the black growth on his head! Do we assume hes ok.atm because he is still eating etc?


IMG_20200601_162044.jpg

IMG_20200601_162048.jpg

IMG_20200601_162138.jpg
 

NevermindIgnoreMe

Member
Is he growing a black tumor/growth on his head or is his turning black? I really can't tell from the pictures. What are the parameters on the pond? Also, to get a better picture you could try catching him and putting him in a big Tupperware with pond water for the picture then release him once you have a couple good ones.
 
  • Thread Starter

Sarah1230ox

Member
NevermindIgnoreMe said:
Is he growing a black tumor/growth on his head or is his turning black? I really can't tell from the pictures. What are the parameters on the pond? Also, to get a better picture you could try catching him and putting him in a big Tupperware with pond water for the picture then release him once you have a couple good ones.
I will try catch him tomorrow! Its my dads pond so i dont deal with any of it, its an actual lump growing on his head been there for a few months probably the size of a big grape!
 
  • Thread Starter

Sarah1230ox

Member
NevermindIgnoreMe said:
Is he growing a black tumor/growth on his head or is his turning black? I really can't tell from the pictures. What are the parameters on the pond? Also, to get a better picture you could try catching him and putting him in a big Tupperware with pond water for the picture then release him once you have a couple good ones.
Hiya i managed to get these pictures. It looks worse than we thought but he is.still eating and swimming with the group :/


IMG_20200602_142559.jpg

IMG_20200602_142431.jpg

IMG_20200602_142204.jpg

IMG_20200602_142157.jpg

IMG_20200602_142046.jpg
 

NevermindIgnoreMe

Member
Wow, I must say I have never seen something like that before. Very odd. You say he is acting normal/fine though? And do you know the water parameters for the pond?
 
  • Thread Starter

Sarah1230ox

Member
NevermindIgnoreMe said:
Wow, I must say I have never seen something like that before. Very odd. You say he is acting normal/fine though? And do you know the water parameters for the pond?
Yeah he still swims, still eats and hangs around all the other fish. Unfortunately my dad is.one of the old fashioned way ones and doesn't test the water! Theyve been in there 5 + years, i have a test kit for my aquarium not sure if that would work in the pond? Im guessing its some sort of tumour just don't want the little guy to suffer bless him
 

MomeWrath

Member
Yikes. That looks (to my uneducated eye) like a straight up tumor. If it is, there probably isn't a great deal you can do short of having an aquatic vet surgically remove it?? I looked up "goldfish tumor" and it appears to be something that they get, to the point that there have been studies done on them.
 
  • Thread Starter

Sarah1230ox

Member
Magicpenny75 said:
Yikes. That looks (to my uneducated eye) like a straight up tumor. If it is, there probably isn't a great deal you can do short of having an aquatic vet surgically remove it?? I looked up "goldfish tumor" and it appears to be something that they get, to the point that there have been studies done on them.
I agree unfortunately my dad would never pay out that sort of money for a fish, i would but dont have that sort of money atm i guess i will.keep an eye on him thank you!
 

NevermindIgnoreMe

Member
I've never seen a black tumor, though that is probably what it is. It's a very weird looking one. I think I'd be fine to use your test kit on the pond. You can try this tumor treatment, which has been successful.
"Soak one apricot kernel in water (make sure it's not hot) overnight. Pound into a pulp with mortar and pestle. Mix with equal parts fish pellets and pack into a cube. Divide into three pieces for larger fish, four for smaller fish. Feed the fish daily one cub, nothing else. "
You can usually see visible improvement by one week, within a few weeks it should be gone. This is the only thing other than surgical removal that I've heard of working in goldfish tumor removal. To make sure he doesn't eat the normal food at feeding time, just remove him and put him in a bucket while you feed him the apricot mixture, and return to the pond once the food has been eaten. I will warn you, the apricot kernel is bitter, and fish don't like the taste, but if they don't eat it they won't get better. In this case there is an injectable form called Laetril.
 
  • Thread Starter

Sarah1230ox

Member
NevermindIgnoreMe said:
I've never seen a black tumor, though that is probably what it is. It's a very weird looking one. I think I'd be fine to use your test kit on the pond. You can try this tumor treatment, which has been successful.
"Soak one apricot kernel in water (make sure it's not hot) overnight. Pound into a pulp with mortar and pestle. Mix with equal parts fish pellets and pack into a cube. Divide into three pieces for larger fish, four for smaller fish. Feed the fish daily one cub, nothing else. "
You can usually see visible improvement by one week, within a few weeks it should be gone. This is the only thing other than surgical removal that I've heard of working in goldfish tumor removal. To make sure he doesn't eat the normal food at feeding time, just remove him and put him in a bucket while you feed him the apricot mixture, and return to the pond once the food has been eaten. I will warn you, the apricot kernel is bitter, and fish don't like the taste, but if they don't eat it they won't get better. In this case there is an injectable form called Laetril.
Thank you! Would i get the injection form in the uk?
 

NevermindIgnoreMe

Member
Sarah1230ox said:
Thank you! Would i get the injection form in the uk?
I'm not sure, and I haven't used injections for fish before, but I would call the closest vet that sees fish and ask. And I'd also try the apricot kernel first, as it's probably cheaper than the shot.
 
  • Thread Starter

Sarah1230ox

Member
NevermindIgnoreMe said:
I'm not sure, and I haven't used injections for fish before, but I would call the closest vet that sees fish and ask. And I'd also try the apricot kernel first, as it's probably cheaper than the shot.
Okay thank you so much will give it a go poor guy i just wish i had the money to see a vet but my dad wouldn't spend that much on 'just a fish' breaks.my heart
 
  • Thread Starter

Sarah1230ox

Member
Just an update nothing worked, we found him today passed away the growth was bigger and looked like it had spread to his mouth
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom