Growth On Plastic Plants - Need Some Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Rob1268, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Rob1268

Rob1268New MemberMember

Can anyone tell me what this growth is? I am running a 16gal tank with a Penn-plex Cascade 500 canister filter. After the first week with fish I had Long clear growth on the plastic plants. I took everything out and cleaned it in 1 part bleach and 4 part water. I thoroughly cleaned the filter canister and put everything back together. After 2 days this is coming back. I have had this tank for the last 4 years and I have never seen anything like this. I was using a hang on filter with now problem. I go to a canister filter and am so far having nothing but problems. I water parameters are all good except my nitrates are a little high. I just did a 25% water change to combat that. Any help would be appreciated. I am at a loss. Thanks, Rob...
    20190214_063820.jpg

2. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Is that an effect after the bleach, take it out again and check, i'v not know any algie growing on plants to be harmful just annoying,

3. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

You might try letting it soak in a warm water, a little dish soap and a cup of vinegar (about 25% vinegar solution). Then scrub the plant with a soft fingernail brush. It kinda looks like a calcium/algae/gunk mishmash. Once you've got some roughness(calcium build up) to a spot all kinds of stuff will start adhering to it. Bleach by itself won't 'remove' anything. It'll kill most yeast, fungus, bacteria and viruses but if they're growing or attached to a matrix of calcium, mineral or organic material the only thing that will completely remove it is elbow grease!

4. OP
    OP
    Rob1268

Rob1268New MemberMember

After I bleached it I rinsed it a bunch of times in warm clean water and I let it sit and dry a couple of days before I even put it back in the tank. This stuff started growing before I ever even bleached it. The first time I had growth all over those plastic plants that's why I pulled them in the first place. I had really long growth coming off those plants that was thick it looked like spaghetti almost hi. I'm sorry I didn't take a picture of it I panicked and I pulled everything out.

5. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

That's not uncommon. Scrub the stuff off. What's on there is probably what the 'spaghetti' algae was hanging onto. Algae loves elevated nitrates.