Growth on neon tetras mouth

GabrielParker

Reaction score
I recently noticed a growth on one of my neon tetras mouths. I'm not sure whether it's a deformity or fungus.

15838243159636311712673775337823.jpg

This isn't a very good pic but it's the middle neon, you can slightly see a white growth on its mouth.

OP
GabrielParker

GabrielParker

Reaction score
pH-6.6
Nitrite-0
Ammonia-0
I recently got 9 neons and I couldn't quarantine them so I just put them in.
I'm guessing I need to buy fungus treatment.
What treatment would you recommend?

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
GabrielParker said:
pH-6.6
Nitrite-0
Ammonia-0
I recently got 9 neons and I couldn't quarantine them so I just put them in.
I'm guessing I need to buy fungus treatment.
What treatment would you recommend?
Treatment depends on where you live. If in US, you could use Furan as fungus treatment or API general cure.

JenC

Well Known
Reaction score
The pic is not good but if it looks like a white bubble on its mouth then it's probably nothing that can be helped. They're VERY common with neons - just Google "tetra white mouth growth" pics and there are tons. The fish will live until the growth impedes its ability to eat, which may never happen. To my knowledge nothing fixes it, it's not communicable, and the fish may live a long, happy life. That said, you might want to keep some clove oil on hand for gentle euthanasia in case it does start to starve to death.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First do a search for this wellknown issues in neons. There are tens / hundreds of threads about this over the years.

Again : Mods think about stickies on common issues like these (And Dwarf GouramI Disease).

It would prevent a lot of replaying.

OP
GabrielParker

GabrielParker

Reaction score
JenC said:
The pic is not good but if it looks like a white bubble on its mouth then it's probably nothing that can be helped. They're VERY common with neons - just Google "tetra white mouth growth" pics and there are tons. The fish will live until the growth impedes its ability to eat, which may never happen. To my knowledge nothing fixes it, it's not communicable, and the fish may live a long, happy life. That said, you might want to keep some clove oil on hand for gentle euthanasia in case it does start to starve to death.
Oh, 2 of them have it and I bought a fungus treatment that I've just dosed.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom