Growth On Neon Tetra Tail

L1995
My neon tetra has a white growth in its tail, I’m not sure what it is but have been treating it with Esha exit and Esha 2000.
This is its second lot of treatment with the Esha but it doesn’t seem to be making any difference.
This is my last neon tetra, I want to put it into my Platy tank because it seems lonely in the tank on its own ( don’t known if fish actually get lonely or not just seems it?) but is this something that can be passed on?

IMG_6734.JPG
IMG_6733.JPG
IMG_6727.JPG

A201
I think your Neon Tetra might be coming down with Neon Tetra Disease. I noticed that the analfin and right side of the fish are starting to exhibit whitish colored blemishes. There is no cure for NT disease, which might explain why no response to the meds. Not a good idea to move the Neon to another healthy community tank.

L1995
Ok that might explain why it’s not getting any better, can fish other than neon tetras catch the disease?

Crazycoryfishlady
Keep your tetra by itself. Don't add any new fish to the tank, don't add it to a new tanks.

It is contagious.

DoubleDutch
Keep your tetra by itself. Don't add any new fish to the tank, don't add it to a new tanks.

It is contagious.

Crazycoryfishlady
Sorry, I think this article is giving a lot of misinformation.
I'm not personally knowledgeable about the situation, and from what I do know and the little bit I read, seemed good to me.
But the last thing I want to do is provide incorrect information to someone with a sick fish.

Trying to learn myself

Hopefully we can find a better article or someone who knows a deal of information.

Thanks for calling me out lol

A201
I don't think DoubleDutch was calling you out. That was very thoughtful of you suggesting a possible helpful read.
That article appears to have been composed by a representative of Melafix. Declaring that blind dosing of Melafix is a good way of treating Neon Tetra Disease as well as misc. bacterial infections is laughable. If I read the article correctly, the author eventually contradicts himself noting that Neon Tetra Disease is incurable.

Crazycoryfishlady
I don't think DoubleDutch was calling you out. That was very thoughtful of you suggesting a possible helpful read.
That article appears to have been composed by a representative of Melafix. Declaring that blind dosing of Melafix is a good way of treating Neon Tetra Disease as well as misc. bacterial infections is laughable. If I read the article correctly, the author eventually contradicts himself noting that Neon Tetra Disease is incurable.

Didn't quite mean it as Oh Man! I'm wrong! You caught me and called me out! Lol
I think double may know what I meant, maybe not, oh well lol

I also thought it was a bit interesting, I didn't read the whole thing, just the first few paragraphs down to where it tells you about the disease itself, but at the beginning it did mention "treat it with this med" then later on said "meds can't cure this"

Perhaps I should go back to read the whole thing and have a laugh.

VividAquariums
Try Paraguard - it's a good broad spectrum killer incase that it's a few things all at once. But don't overuse it (follow label) as I heard it can be hard on their kidneys.

DoubleDutch
I wasn't calling you out. Appologies if I gave you that feeling/thought.

This disease would mean a disaster in the tank / lfs. It isn't mostly seen in neons, but got is terrible wrong name cause it was ID-ed in a neon the first time but affects all fish.

Also the story about cardinals being resistant to me is untrue and an ongoing story.

And the " advertisement " of Melafix simply is ridiculous. Melafix isn't a real med and doesn't even treat a serious bacterial infection. This even isn't a bacteria.

NTD comes up when a neon is involved, but is quite rare, would mean a disaster for the entire stocking, etc etc.....

Crazycoryfishlady
I didn't mean it in a negative way lol
More like "thanks for letting me know I posted misinformation" lol

L1995
Thanks for the info, I will leave the neon tetra in its own tank. I know it’s stupid but I just feel so bad for it being on its own ☹️

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
tokiodreamy
  • Question
Replies
Views
Shrimp42
  • Question
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch