Help growth on corys whiskers?

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hi, i have 4 peppered corys that i got from a good LFS, but i QT'd anyway. so they went into my 20g a week and a half ago, and they've been fine. however, today i noticed one swim quickly to the top and break the surface....i was confused by this, and i've seen him do it before, so i watched him. i then noticed a cottony looking patch on the side of his mouth on the whiskers. i was very concerned so i put him in Q.

what could this be? i obviously can't tell the difference between all of them....but i'm thinking it's been this one going to the surface. :helpsmilie:

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They regularly go to the surface for a gulp of air.

cottony looking patch sounds like a fungal infection. If you've caught it at the beginning, then you can treat the fish with waterchanges. IME when something is caught early, doing daily water changes will clear it up. Good for you for having a quarantine tank. If it's more progressed, medications are in order....either mela or pimafix - can't remember whichis which.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ok good that i caught it early...if it is an infection. im not sure how early this is....but ill start with daily changes. at first it looked like some leftover zuchinni i had in for the snails the other day. sometimes the corys steal a bite.

but why would it be sticking to him? im guessing its not lol. poor lil sniffer,
thats what i call the group .

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think if it doesn't start getting better after a few days that meds are in order.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ok.....well i think i probably need to get meds. he is just laying on the bottom, and he didn't eat yesterday. i wasn't able to go get to the lfs
yesterday, hopefully today i can. (i've been sick). so which med would i need?

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i was able to get out today and get some pimafix. i gave one dose this afternoon.....however by this evening my little guy had gone to the fishbowl in the sky. i wish i had caught it earlier than yesterday....or at least could have been able to get the meds yesterday. but i did what i could. thanks for your help.....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom