Growth between scales and other problems

Harlebleondora

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey, I just noticed a strange growth between the scales of one of my harlequin rasboras.
(Sorry for poor quality)

It looks like a scale has popped off and the stuff under has swollen up.

I was just about to dose the tank with api general cure (metrodizanole+praziquantel) when i noticed the growth. I was going to use it because I had seen lots of endlers flashing.

I have a uv steriliser installed.
Parameters
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5
Ph 7.0
30-40% water changes once a week.

Stock
6 black neon tetras
2 harlequin rasboras
4 hangels rasboras
15 sterbai coryd
1 bristlenose
50-70 endlers ranging from newborn-adult

I know that the stocking is horrible. I have been unable to patch up the holes in my schools and the endlers weren't meant to be in there in the first place. This is why.
After a month of quarantine i was almost ready to move the endlers. About a day before I was going to sell my guppies to make room for the endlers i found out that the guppies had camallanus worms. I had to take down my quarantine in a few days because of space issues so I ended up putting them in my 40g.

That was seven months ago. I have tried 4 different treatments and have made almost zero progress with killing the worms.

Recently all of the original 5 female endlers have become wasted starting with a drooping tail then a sunken belly and finally death. Only 3 are still alive.

Back to where I am now and i don't know what to do, whats this thing between the harlequin's scale? Sorry for the amount of text. Please help!image

EDIT: Just noticed what looks like another one about to pop up on a female endler.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Perhaps a tumor? My rainbowfish had something like this, and it died......

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can't tell what that is in those pictures, they're too blurry.

Some possibilities include columnaris, flukes, and tumors. If it's spreading, it's not a tumor.

Harlebleondora

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
image hopefully this is clearer.

It looks very fleshy and it seems something small and white is on top, it looks like a peeling piece of skin. Can flukes contribute to fish wasting away? (Shrunken belly)

Harlebleondora

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
UPDATE: after dosing with 4 different meds including baths this fish and another one who caught the disease
passed away, unfortunately.

Thanks for the help.

Harlebleondora

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks for the help everyone, just thought I'd do an update, a month later another harlequin caught it and died, a black neon tetra got it to but I saved it with some salt and med baths.

It hasn't reappeared for 4 months so it looks like it been beaten

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom