Growing Pothos out of aquariums

• Thread starter Dippiedee
  • Start date

Dippiedee

I keep reading about people growing Pothos out of their aquariums; I am a huge devils ivy fan and I would very much like to do this! Can anyone post pictures of Pothos growing out their tanks so I can get an idea of how itll work? I have a huge plant in my bathroom that I could propagate.

Flyfisha

Well Known
No worries. Any excuse. Do you know how to cut very small cuttings?image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Dippiedee

Well, that's it. I'm definitely going to do it lol

No I've never took a cutting of mine before, I've propagated succulents and herbs before. I bought my Pothos as a cutting off the internet about a year ago. Where should I take the cutting from?

Flyfisha

Well Known
I will find a link.
Basically any off cuts will grow kind of. Just washing the dirt off and putting the whole plant in will work as well eventually.
To get fast growing neat little plants by the dozen cut like this photo.

image.jpg

Dippiedee

Awesome thanks for your help :D

Cinnabar

Dippiedee said:
Well, that's it. I'm definitely going to do it lol

No I've never took a cutting of mine before, I've propagated succulents and herbs before. I bought my Pothos as a cutting off the internet about a year ago. Where should I take the cutting from?
pothos are some of the most bulletproof plants I’ve ever encountered. If you’re looking for nice and semi-temporary, I’ve also had success growing them completely submerged (they last for about a year or two). They’ll grow slowly, but any clipping will put out roots and attach to the nearest surface. Look along a branching vine, you’ll see a little brown nub- that’ll be where new roots sprout from.

CD50F025-D6F0-4502-9722-D58409D105E8.jpegB7778153-D725-447D-B94E-7A2988337E62.jpeg

Pothos growing in a divided 10g and a betta sorority

Dippiedee

Do you just use a liquid fertiliser like youd use for aquatic plants?

Flyfisha

Well Known
I don’t use much fertiliser at all . But when I do it’s 1/6 of the recommended rate of Liverpool creeks aquarium complete.

I don’t put the leaves under water WhatsUpGuys?

Cinnabar

No ferts, no special lights... I literally use whatever I have on hand, in this case, cheap LEDs and desk lamps haha. They’re hardy little things
E1B1651C-DB07-4674-859A-5844BF4510A5.jpeg

Dippiedee

Update;

I went to my LFS and picked up a couple of anubias and some spiderwood and did a bit of rescape, took out all the fake plants then I put 2 small Pothos clippings in the corner behind the filter. That spot is my betta's favourite hiding spot so i figured it would be extra coverage for him

Before:
20200918_130209.jpg

After:
20200919_140824.jpg

If I can keep these plants alive then I'll add more :D

jmaldo

Well Known
WOW! Flyfisha
I tried Pothos after seeing coralbandit tanks, he's got his growing throughout his fishroom. Similar to yours.
Mine is growing well, in fact just clipped some and added to another tank. Need to get some pics. No ferts just the fish bio for food.
WhatsUpGuys
Interesting, never thought of them submerged. Going to give a try.

Dippiedee
Good Luck!

Flyfisha

Well Known
Most plants can stay alive in a flood for a few weeks. Pothos is no different to most plants. It will however die if left under water. Just like the bamboo plants WhatUpGuys both of those plants are going to die eventually and foul the water if you continue to have the leaves under water.

jmaldo

Well Known
Here is a pic, a vine on the 55g, took it from the larger vine on the 33L. It's a start, eventually one day hope to look like the others jungles. (above)

Pothos.jpg

Demonskid

I had started my shrimp keeping JUST for my pothos. Someone had given me a very large clipping of her plant, and I kept it in a cup in the beginning. I enjoyed watching the roots grow so I had gotten my 1.4 gallon plant tank, which I eventually added shrimp to. Now for the shrimp's best interest I am moving everything to a 5.5gallon tank.

The clipping I was given, obviously had been clipped once before and the tip was very ugly and not growing anything new, so I cut that off, and then I cut the top most leaf off with some of the stem. Making sure I had a little nub on the stem, I placed it in the water. Got roots a few weeks after.

I also suggest not keeping the leaves under the water. I had to cut one off because the stem fell deeper into the tank and the leaf ended up under the water. It slowly drowned.

I had to go to my instagram to find the older photo's of it. The third one with the 5.5g tank, you can see the small clipping in the left corner.

Pothos are fun hardy plants, good luck with yours!

Attachments

Dippiedee

20200921_085430.jpg

Is this a bubble nest? Prince has never made one before. Exiting stuff he must approve of his home improvements.

Cinnabar

Flyfisha said:
Most plants can stay alive in a flood for a few weeks. Pothos is no different to most plants. It will however die if left under water. Just like the bamboo plants WhatUpGuys both of those plants are going to die eventually and foul the water if you continue to have the leaves under water.
yep, flyfisha is right. Like I said, it’s just a nice temporary-ish decoration. Bamboo started dying off after about 2.5 years, and I got impatient and pulled the pothos out at the two year mark. Handy and cheap plants for people like me who can’t stop fiddling around with scapes lol

Dippiedee

Thought I'd update this for no reason at all. Decided to depot one of my more mature plants and put it in the tank, I think it's looking pretty good. Also thought I'd try my luck at growing an avocado in the water too. 20201015_144834.jpg20201015_144843.jpg20201015_145012.jpg

The last avocado I grew 20201015_145017.jpg

Top Bottom