Growing Live Food For Your Fish?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by drewnation, Nov 26, 2012.

1. drewnation

drewnationNew MemberMember

I saw some videos of people growing their own food for their fish (ie brine shrimp, grindal worms, and a couple of other worms).
    My question is, how feasable is this? How many fish do these people usually have?

Do any of you guys cultivate your own or have you or know someone who has?
    I'm thinking of starting some grindal worms but have mixed feelings about it. Please enlighten me!

2. gourami88

gourami88Valued MemberMember

I think it is pretty simple, but i've only ever done brine shrimp as I feed them to my fry.

3. plecodragonWell Known MemberMember

I have microworms- fairly easy to keep. You get a starter culture of the worms, mix some oatmeal and water until it is mushy but not soaking wet and add the culture-all this in some sort of plastic container. Mine are in a clear plastic container with a lid (poke some holes in it to let the worms breathe) that came with some sort of dry fruit or nuts. Leave it for a few days and the worms crawl up the sides of the container you then scrap them off with a wooden squewer or q-tip and feed to the fish. These worms work best for smaller fish such as rasbora,and fish fry.
    I also have a culture of banana worms but they may have had it as I forgot I got them at the fish auction I was at.
    Some people grow grindel worms or white worms. I don't know much about those but others on here probably do.
    I have tried Brine shrimp but have not had much luck with my eggs hatching.

If you don't want to grow your own fish food, frozen is good also and you can get baby brine shrimp, brine shrimp, glass worms, blood worms, just melt and give to your fish.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  4. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Growing live food is not hard, you just have to be willing to maintain the culture. Grindal worms aren't too tough, but they do need to be fed every few days and their media needs to stay moist.

Baby brine shrimp aren't too hard either, but they are really only good for small fish and fry. The key to good hatchout is high quality cysts and getting the right salinity.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice