growing driftwood?

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by monkeypie102, Dec 13, 2012.

1. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

I read somewhere, this was a few months ago, of someone taking a rooted part of a bush (not sure the kind) and did like a hydroponic growing in there tank... I am not sure if this would work but i would like to try... can someone suggest a woody root plant... would a pine tree work.

Ideas??

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
  2. Novemayune

Novemayune Valued Member Member

I've read that you shouldn't use sap-trees, and pine most certainly produces sap. But is that just for driftwood or does it also count for live plants?

ETA: You're going for a semi-aquatic, right? Do you have plenty of room for a tree to grow out of your tank?

3. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

I have all open top tanks, Sept for lights of course, and the idea is to trim the tree/shrub down so it doesn't get to tall... so yeah I have plenty of room :)

I am not sure about the sap rule though :/ I only plan to have the roots in the water not the leafs... but to be safe I will avoid evergreens

4. Novemayune

I know that mangroves are semi-aquatic trees and produce a lush root system that fish can swim through. A quick google search for mangrove for freshwater aquarium gave me the following as one of the results:

I don't know if that is what you are looking for, but the root system on a mangrove would be a complex and living version of driftwood. I'm unsure how large it would get to be though...

ETA: after reading through, it seems that it would be fairly easy to keep the red mangrove short and bushy through controlled pruning. Sounds like it might be a viable option, not knowing any other desires on your part...?

Generally, sap trees don't just have sap in the branches and leaves - the sap is essentially the circulatory system of the tree. For instance, the reason that sap is collected from maples in the fall and spring in order to make maple syrup is that it is carrying all the nutrients from the extremities down to the roots in the fall and back up to the branches and leaves in the spring. So my assumption would be that any sap-tree would be a bad idea for an aquarium, not just a cutting from it (or a piece, as in the case of driftwood). Hth!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2012
  5. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Thanks for the info :) I didn't realize mangrooves could be freshwater as well and the roots are exactly what i was thinking! I read the same with regular pruning it will stay short and bushy which is the way I would keep it! Thank you again! Now I just need to find somewhere to buy a sapling or two.

6. Novemayune

Yeah, that looks like it would be the hard part, would be actually finding them. Good luck and share pics if/when you get them!

7. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Yep i plan to keep this thread as a blog, if allowed... I am looking for them now... if I find something decent I will buy it tomorrow!

8. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I've seen them for sale on ebay in the past.

9. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Yeah I see 8 10"-16" seedlings for 15 free shipping...

One thing i should ask is there a process from salt water to freshwater I should do/know about to acclimat the plant(s)?

10. Novemayune

I would check with where you are purchasing them. There is a possibility that they are freshwater grown. In not, ask how they recommend switching them to freshwater.

ETA: "Transplanting the mangrove: As with many other plants, moving a mangrove can stress it and cause its leaves to wilt or drop off. If this occurs, place the plant in tap water under strong light. When transplanting a mangrove from freshwater to saltwater, it must be done in increments. Over the course of several days, gradually increase the salt level in the water. Also, be sure there is sufficient magnesium in the water (see Nutrients, below)." From the link I posted previously :)

11. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Here is another suggestion but I don't know if it can be grown using hydroponics. How about a manzanita bush?

12. Novemayune

ETA: I would worry about the fact that it produces fruit. But I don't know on the hydroponics aspect...

ETA 2: Of course, I guess it would only produce fruit if it were being pollinated. So there is that to consider.

13. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Lol i just finished messaging the seller about how they grow it... and reccomemnded acclimation if it is saltwater grown...

From what i am reading it is a desert plant... it might do well in hydroponics?

Also it being an evergreen would it be a sap producer?

14. Novemayune

In my experience, evergreens are sap-trees. But I have limited experience, so don't take my word as gospel-truth, lol. I'm just a girl who had a green-thumb grandpa who took me out in nature quite a bit as a child, nothing more :)

15. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

XD unless it is submerge in water i have a black thumb... however in aquatics my thumb is bright green ;)

I do take your word for it ;) and the various sites that can help prove you right xD always always Google before doing something someone else suggests.

16. Novemayune

Lol. There is a reason I call it the "Almighty Google" when I talk about it, lol. Dr. Google, however, frequently gives the diagnosis that a hangnail = cancer.

17. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

You didn't know hangnails were caused from cancer xD (not meaning to make fun of any cancer survivors out there ;) l

Got a message from the mangrove nursury on eBay... they grow them in freshwater so no acclimation will be needed! I will have to buy them tomorrow though :/ I may split them between my 26g and my 29g 8 are a lot of trees xD

18. Novemayune

Well, then, hurray for no acclimation to freshwater! Should help speed up the process a tiny bit. I'm very curious to see your results on this, so be sure to update often with progress! And I'm glad I could lend a bit of insight for you. Happy growing!

19. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

That KS :) now I am just trying to figure out how to go about strigning it up to the top of the tank until it is tall enough to sand out of the tank on its own... the guy kept saying to attach it to some wood... but i don't want it growing through/on anything so if need be I can remove it at once :)

20. Novemayune

Maybe try creating a "net" with some string across the top of the tank? That way it will be easily removable, can be made large enough to allow for root growth without worrying about cutting into the roots?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice