Growing Carrot In Fish Tank

abarb

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I grew a carrot in my tank by putting a carrot in the water and it grew leaves after a few days. Has anyone else done it?

Attachments

Suzanne2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's a cool idea!

Bacalaotropic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I poured the water from the pwc's around my scrawny tomato plants and. .boom..they literally exploded w beautiful green foliage and lots of tomatoes . There's got to be something good in that water!!

abarb

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bacalaotropic said:
I poured the water from the pwc's around my scrawny tomato plants and. .boom..they literally exploded w beautiful green foliage and lots of tomatoes . There's got to be something good in that water!!
I did that too with some houseplants and they grew much better after that. Maybe I should try it with the plants I grow outside too.

Bacalaotropic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Try it. It did the same for the sweet potato foliage, even my plantain is beginning to bear fruit . Some people here in the tropics have tilapia ponds just for the water.

Swlws

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
With fruit/flower bearing plants, would you need to keep the plant and therefore the tank, in sunlight for the best growth? Why I ask is because I like this idea but not enough to actually risk algae outbreak

Bacalaotropic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I, personally, wouldn't put anything in the tank except aquarium plants, but the water from the pwc's definitely willgo to my garden.

abarb

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Swlws said:
With fruit/flower bearing plants, would you need to keep the plant and therefore the tank, in sunlight for the best growth? Why I ask is because I like this idea but not enough to actually risk algae outbreak
Sunlight would be best but I think an aquarium light that has about 6000k can grow them too. My tank gets indirect sunlight a few hours every day and that is enough to grow the carrot and other plants that are above the tank.

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This makes me want to stick a carrot in all of my tanks. I accidentally bought a bag of carrots the other day thinking I had run out. Now I have two bags of carrots... Tempted to try this.

abarb

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
SM1199 said:
This makes me want to stick a carrot in all of my tanks. I accidentally bought a bag of carrots the other day thinking I had run out. Now I have two bags of carrots... Tempted to try this.
You should try it. It grew much faster than potatoes and sweet potatoes that I tried.

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
abarb said:
You should try it. It grew much faster than potatoes and sweet potatoes that I tried.
How did you secure the carrot to the side of the tank? I'm imagining a heater suction cup with the carrot stuck where the heater would be.

abarb

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
SM1199 said:
How did you secure the carrot to the side of the tank? I'm imagining a heater suction cup with the carrot stuck where the heater would be.
I used one of those plastic things that small plants are in (with rock wool) and a suction cup from an old thermometer. I put the bottom of the carrot in it.

JaksAquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
well i have notaced people like putting there veggies in tanks to watch them grow. kids this is how to get rid of your veggies

Lacey D

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a ton of pothos in my filter, and do use the water in my garden, so I guess this is a logical step Just watch for root rot, since I don't think carrots are meant to be submerged long-term.

I like fish123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aquaponics!

abarb

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Does anyone know if ginger can be grown in water?

JamieLu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Does the carrot help with nitrates like the potato is supposed to? I tried the potato but the eyes just got moldy, didn't grow roots...I have nitrates in my tap and no real plants in the tank so I'm tryin to find somethin easy to help my problem

abarb

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JamieLu said:
Does the carrot help with nitrates like the potato is supposed to? I tried the potato but the eyes just got moldy, didn't grow roots...I have nitrates in my tap and no real plants in the tank so I'm tryin to find somethin easy to help my problem
Probably. It grew very quickly too. Buying a carrot that already has some leaves will probably make it grow even faster.

JamieLu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
abarb said:
Probably. It grew very quickly too. Buying a carrot that already has some leaves will probably make it grow even faster.
Do roots grow in the water too?

abarb

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JamieLu said:
Do roots grow in the water too?
Yes they grew very quickly

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests