Growing Brine Shrimp

FLDawna
When raising brine shrimp to adults, what is the water to salt ratio for the grow out tank/container? Is it the same solution as the hatching ratio?

Coradee
Giving this a bump up for you

yukondog
Good ? I posted about the same thing without much of a answer, I'll be watching your post, hopefully someone answers your question.
I've tried it a couple of times with no luck, about to get a new batch going today.
Do you decapsulate them first?

Thunder_o_b
I would say yes. But I have never grown them past the young stage. Food for fry.

DarkOne
I did an experiment with old hatching water and was able to grow quite a few adults in that water. I crushed a 1/4 piece of algae tab for food but a few drops of milk or spirulina powder will work as food too. I didn't use an air line or heater and just left a 11 liter tub with them in it. That was a few months ago and I still have some adults in there.

yukondog
Do you know what the ratio is? The packets of brine shrimp I use has the salt already added.

DarkOne
I use 1 1/2 tablespoon salt per quart of water. I also put in a pinch of baking soda to stabilize pH. 78°-80°F is the best temp for max hatching rates but they'll hatch at room temp but it will take a few hours to a day longer.

The food you put in for the adults is only once a week or every 2 weeks. They really don't need much.

FLDawna
I do not decapsulate first. I use a 1 liter bottle and put about 1 1/2 tablespoons of salt, a pinch of baking soda and a heaping teaspoon of the eggs. I keep an office lamp pointed at it within a couple inches for heat. I have no idea what the actual temp would be. But I've tried several times to just add the leftover water and remaining unharvested shrimp to a Rubbermaid container with air, without air, with a light, with only light near a window...they all die within a week. I do not have algae wafers but I do have repashI soilent green powder that I've tried to use. I have also tried crushing bottom feeder wafers I have for my corydoras. This last batch I put a couple drops of milk in so we'll see what happens. I was thinking maybe the hatching solution ratio was too salty for rearing the shrimp but I can't find anything that says differently. I'll keep trying for a little while but I'm almost over it. My Fry should be ready for new homes in a few weeks. I just wanted to get a culture of bigger shrimp going for my community tank.

yukondog
Once I tried decapsulating them that's the only way I do it now, no shells or hull to have to deal with. I'm going to try to raise them again.
When using the larger tub you use the 1.5 tablespoons of salt per Qt. of water to make a larger solution?

FLDawna
No, I haven't added anything but the leftover water from the hatched batch and the few uncollected shrimp that remain in the hatchery bottle. I try to keep as much of the brown hatched hulls out of the grow out container as I can but there are a few that end up in there.

MWR
These guys probably know the answers to your questions.

yukondog
Thanks, I will try two containers, one with hatching water and one with salt water I'll make and see what happens.

DarkOne
I just checked my tub and there's about 6-8 full grown adults still swimming around in there. I haven't touched it in at least 2 months.

FLDawna
These guys probably know the answers to your questions.
Geez...that seems like a lot more work than I've read about. I just bought 2 oz of freeze dried brine shrimp and fed it to my fry tonight. They are big enough to eat all but some of the bigger whole shrimp once rehydrated. In another week they should be able to handle even those. I'd still prefer to have a container going with a nice population of adult and juvenile brine shrimp with little to no effort, like DARKONE, but I haven't been that lucky. Meanwhile, I have about 60 or so zebra danios I need to rehome SOON!!!

DarkOne
This is what I watched and it motivated me to try.

FLDawna
I've seen that too. He makes it look so simple. I don't know why my shrimp die. It could simply be that the food I'm trying to feed (the RepashI or bottom feeder wafers) just aren't something they'll eat and they starve. I just added more shrimp to the container since I finished feeding the last hatched batch to my danio fry. There didn't seem to be many shrimp in there from the last time. Maybe once the Fry are rehomed and the 10 gallon is available I'll try in there. I have a sponge filter and that might work. Although it's not supposed to be that hard...lol!!!!

Redshark1
I have had problems with Vibrio bacteria. That stops things growing pretty effectively!

yukondog
How do you know if you have Vibrio bacteria?

FLDawna
I have had problems with Vibrio bacteria. That stops things growing pretty effectively!
How would you know you have it???

Redshark1
It is presumptive. Vibrio is the usual causative agent.

From

"Artemia are usually highly contaminated with bacteria and mostly identified as Vibrio spp. Moreover, it is necessary to control these bacterial loads before the use of Artemia in culture systems."

From Bacterial virulence analysis using brine shrimp as an infection model in relation to the importance of quorum sensing and proteases

"Artemia naupliI were infected with various pathogenic bacteria, such as Vibrio vulnificus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Burkholderia vietnamiensis, Staphylococcus aureus, and Escherichia coli, and the susceptibility to these bacteria was investigated by counting the survival of the infected nauplii. While all of the tested bacteria have significant virulence to brine shrimp, killing the naupliI in a few days, Vibrio vulnificus showed the strongest virulence."

FLDawna
Oh. Well, I reckon that could be my problem. I have gotten this last batch started. There's a window for light, an air stone, and I crumbled a bit of algae wafer into the water and shut the door. I'm not going to check it for a week.

yukondog
I just did the same thing, harvested out what I needed and the rest went into a tub with air. Going to try again.

FLDawna
Oh. Well could be my issue I suppose. I've got another batch started. I picked up some algae waters and crushed a bit into the water. It has an air stone and sits next to a window for light. I'm not going to even look at it for a week and see what happens.

Cold&warm
I just checked my tub and there's about 6-8 full grown adults still swimming around in there. I haven't touched it in at least 2 months.
I suspect you have something like a green thumb for brine shrimp, could you clone it for the rest of us..?

For food yeast is easy to use. Less is more. The water should turn clear in a day or so.

DarkOne
I suspect you have something like a green thumb for brine shrimp, could you clone it for the rest of us..?
Interestingly, I checked the tub a couple of weeks ago and there was only a single huge brine shrimp left. My EBAs are 7 months old so it was barely a snack for one of them.

Cold&warm
Interestingly, I checked the tub a couple of weeks ago and there was only a single huge brine shrimp left. My EBAs are 7 months old so it was barely a snack for one of them.
What are EBAs?

Dch48
I have seen that a drop or two of milk can be a good food for brine shrimp too.

Cold&warm
Oh. Well could be my issue I suppose. I've got another batch started. I picked up some algae waters and crushed a bit into the water. It has an air stone and sits next to a window for light. I'm not going to even look at it for a week and see what happens.
Are you sure the air stone won't prevent the small naupliI from growing?
In descriptions of how to hatch naupliI I have read not to use them, because too fine bubbles bring damage.
David of the video uses no air stone either.

Dch48
I have hatched some in a shallow container with no airstone and using just Kosher salt. It's about an inch deep. I got a ton of babies from a pinch of eggs but my Betta has a lot of trouble finding them since they're so small. I did see him pick off a few but he really wasn't all that interested. I'm leaving the tray alone to see if I get any big ones but the numbers seem to be dwindling steadily. I have gotten a few adults years ago using the same method but never more than 4 or 5. No place around here sells any live ones or even Daphnia.

DarkOne
What are EBAs?
Electric Blue Acaras.

DSC_3873.JPG

I have seen that a drop or two of milk can be a good food for brine shrimp too.
I tried that and crushed algae wafers. I also read a pinch of spirulina powder works too.

Are you sure the air stone won't prevent the small naupliI from growing?
In descriptions of how to hatch naupliI I have read not to use them, because too fine bubbles bring damage.
David of the video uses no air stone either.
Fine air bubbles can kill napulii. I haven't had issues from newly hatched napuliI for 2 days but probably not good for longer than that. Just an air tube in the water would be better for long term growth.

Cold&warm
Sometimes people recommend high salt concentrations, like 9.4 oz to a gallon.

On May, 31st I started such a hI salt attempt following intructions provided: 2 inches of water, no air supply, no cover on the tank, for food very little yeast, adding more only when the water turned clear.
I have fed them only twice before the water remained permanently murky. The last time was about a week ago. Only in an almost completely dark room with the help of a strong flashlight the brine shrimp can be seen:

IMG_4442.JPG
My guess is that they represent less than 1% of the original number of naupliI introduced. Those had already been hatched. The greater part of the naupliI died off during the first 4-5 days.

A year ago I tried a few times in a small tank with a normal water level and 1.7 gal of normally salted water. Air was supplied, but not through an air stone. Only once I got about 5 young adults, after 3-4 weeks. They died before they could grow large.

Electric Blue Acaras.
Thx.
Wow, what I beautiful fish! I loose count over and again: must be some 60 young.
Am I (benevolently) jealous!
Cichlids are my favorite fish. Unfortunately there is only room for small - but interesting - species. Am waiting for a couple of multies to arrive.
If it is not too much asked, could you upload a picture of the parents?

yukondog
I've never been able to get them to live more than 2 days.

Cold&warm
I have hatched some in a shallow container with no airstone and using just Kosher salt. It's about an inch deep. I got a ton of babies from a pinch of eggs but my Betta has a lot of trouble finding them since they're so small. I did see him pick off a few but he really wasn't all that interested. I'm leaving the tray alone to see if I get any big ones but the numbers seem to be dwindling steadily. I have gotten a few adults years ago using the same method but never more than 4 or 5. No place around here sells any live ones or even Daphnia.
I have a cousin of your Betta, a Paradise fish. Unlike his cousin he does eat nauplii. He eats literally everything, and so eagerly that I pay extra attention not to overfeed lest he explode.

DarkOne
Thx.
Wow, what I beautiful fish! I loose count over and again: must be some 60 young.
Am I (benevolently) jealous!
Cichlids are my favorite fish. Unfortunately there is only room for small - but interesting - species. Am waiting for a couple of multies to arrive.
If it is not too much asked, could you upload a picture of the parents?
That was in my 75 gallon and there was probably about 150 babies. Another 50 or so in a 40 gallon breeder with the parents.

Dad is on the left, mom in the center.

2018-06-05 23.46.08.jpg

Cold&warm
That was in my 75 gallon and there was probably about 150 babies. Another 50 or so in a 40 gallon breeder with the parents.

Dad is on the left, mom in the center.
View attachment 446616

Amazingly beautiful fish, thank you for uploading!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ellebrius
Replies
Views
Aquaticguy
Top Bottom