Group Treatment

1. Cory & the Catz Member Member

I started this hobby with little knowledge and jumped right into my tank getting way too many fish in too short of time. I would like to try to do some preventative treatment for my fish as i read they may have stuff that hasn't showed yet i have had all of them for 2-1/2 and 3-1/2 weeks. They all seem great no clear signs of sickness but if there is something that helps build their immune system or protect them from sickness/ treat common sickness before symptoms. I am still cycling the tank too so advice if i should do anything before or after cycle would be great too thanks.

2. kuhlkid Member Member

What is your stock?
    If you're still cycling, you'll want to make sure to get an aquarium test kit, and keep daily readings of pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Use that info to keep track of where you are in your cycle. Since ammonia and nitrites are both highly toxic to fish, you'll also probably have to do small daily water changes to keep the ppm as low as possible. Your beneficial bacteria is trying to grow in your filter media, so don't wash unless it gets physically clogged--and even then, only gently rinse it in dirty tank water.
    As far as preventative guards for your fish, I'd suggest Seachem Prime (dechlorinates and detoxifies water) and Seachem StressGuard (encourages build-up of stress coat, which protects your fish from toxins). If you see any signs of disease, Seachem also makes a medication called ParaGuard, which helps defend against parasites, bacteria, and fungus, and won't harm your cycle. Lots of folks use this in their quarantine tanks when bringing in new fish. If you have any "scaleless" fish (plecos, loaches, etc.), you'll need to be careful and do your research before dosing. These fish are more susceptible to chemicals in the water. You'll find info online about how these fish cope with different additives--almost everything has been tried before ;)

3. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

If after 2-3 weeks your fish haven't shown any signs of illness, there really is no need to treat them. The biggest thing you can do to build immunity is too feed a high-quality food specific to the fish that you keep, make sure that the fish in your tank are compatible ( temperature and temperament), and by changing at least 50% of total water volume in tank ( also cleaning gravel) once a week. Also, invest in an API Master water testing kit!

4. Cory & the Catz Member Member

Already have API master test kit and have been checking daily, have been using prime to detoxify anything under 1ppm anything over 1ppm has gotten a 25% water change each day until back below 1ppm. Thanks for your response i will look into stressguard and paraguard. And are corydoras scaleless? thats all of my stock i could think that might be?

5. Robalot Initiate Member

Buying too many fish is a common mistake for new hobbiests. Don't worry. It is part of the learning process. It is a good sign that your fish have no signs of illness yet. Generally speaking, if you do not see signs after 21 days your fish are healthy.

During the cycling process the nitrites will spike for a while until they are converted to nitrates. During this process your fish may get stressed and, unfortunately, some may not make it. That is a very difficult environment for your fish to live in. The best thing to do is frequent water changes during the cycling process. Some may say that doing this will remove the bacteria and prevent the tank from cycling but there is very little bacteria in the water. Most of the bacteria is on surfaces in the tanks an in your filter and filter media and in your substrate. Changing the water 25% per day will partially control the amount of nitrites in the water. This is not a solution that will save all of your fish but it will help.

On a side note, once your tank cycles there is enough bacteria to keep your aquarium environment stable. Therefore you should add additional fish slowly. You will see additional mini cycles after adding fish.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

6. Cory & the Catz Member Member

Thanks for the info, should i avoid gravel vac during cycle to maintain BB? Also how do i know food is high quality?

7. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Yes, you should still clean your gravel with a python once a week, regardless if you are cycling or not: and especially since you are over-stocked.
    Look up the fish that you have online and look at their specific food requirements. From there, do a little research on different brands of food and what others recommend that have these fish. You will want to make sure that they get a full-balanced diet depending on the fish you keep. I really like New Life Spectrum Foods http://nlsfishfood.com/or the foods from kensfish.com.

8. kuhlkid Member Member

Yes, they are scaleless. Sounds like your WC habits are where they should be!

9. Cory & the Catz Member Member

Very informative thank you, i did learn most of this after stocking up my tank to near full capacity and although i thought i id my research on the fish well i did not look into the cycle enough and kinda just caught up with all of it in the past few weeks coming on here. I appreciate your vote of confidence and hope my fish and i can make it through the cycling process ok.

Well im technically not overstocked, i did my research on my tank capacity, i just introduced like 10 fish into an un-cycled tank in a weeks time. Thanks for the info on food, any recommendations for DG's, Corys, and danios? I'm thinking my DG's crave green foods as they have been eating my live plant(el nino fern).