Grooming My Betta?

BetterBettaBuddy

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a HM male Betta, and his fins have grown so long to the point that it is difficult for him to swim. I am worried also about his tail getting caught in the filter, so of course I'm concerned for him drowning.. would it be applicable for me to trim his fins alittle, just to make it easier on him? His tail is 1 cm longer than his entire body length..and I have started seeing him sitting on the stones, not being nearly as active as he usually is..so groom his tail or not?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nope, you shouldn't ever attempt a fin clipping on a fish this small that won't stay still for you.
It's just a natural thing for longer, heavier types of tails. Don't try to alter things.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i wouldnt because its natural for this type of betta to have longer fins and they wont drown unless the filter is too strong for them to get air from the surface

kayla20johnson

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BetterBettaBuddy said:
I have a HM male Betta, and his fins have grown so long to the point that it is difficult for him to swim. I am worried also about his tail getting caught in the filter, so of course I'm concerned for him drowning.. would it be applicable for me to trim his fins alittle, just to make it easier on him? His tail is 1 cm longer than his entire body length..and I have started seeing him sitting on the stones, not being nearly as active as he usually is..so groom his tail or not?
What size tank is he in? You can move him to a bigger tank so he has more room to swim around with his beautiful fins and tail!

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
their are cases of fish needing a trim. I've only had to do it once because the bettas genetics weren't strong enough. You need to be very careful when doing so. You place the fish in some water containing clove oil. this must be highly oxegenated. After the fish goes under, cut off just a bit of the fin. Then put him in normal water and add an anti fungal or indian almond leaves. You shouldn't attemp this if you are new to bettas and you should alwasy try to avoid it. However, if it's really bad and they can't hold up the fins, it's necessary.

Compatability

Valued Member
Reaction score
BetterBettaBuddy said:
Take an old pair of panty hose and put it around the filter cage actually you can put a rubber band around the top to keep the panty hose on. My fish store told me to do this because I had babies that I didn't want to get sucked in the filter it worked! Don't wrap it thick just one layer of the panty hose, it really works perfect!

BetterBettaBuddy

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
These are his fins, he has started nipping at them, so I know they have to bother him. They are so beautiful, but I want him to be comfortable and happy.

kayla20johnson said:
What size tank is he in? You can move him to a bigger tank so he has more room to swim around with his beautiful fins and tail!
He is in a 3.5 gallon bow front glass tank.

Same fish flaring at his neighbor

Attachments

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
those are long, but he appears to be holding his dorsel fin well. Only when they appear to not beable to hold up their fins is it a problem.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BetterBettaBuddy said:
These are his fins, he has started nipping at them, so I know they have to bother him. They are so beautiful, but I want him to be comfortable and happy.

He is in a 3.5 gallon bow front glass tank.

Same fish flaring at his neighbor
If he is nipping he is taking care of his problem himself, if you want to make it quicker (they will still grow back though, so it would likely be a monthly process and making sure his water is pristine to prevent infection at the trim sites).

Kyleena696

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Compatability said:
Take an old pair of panty hose and put it around the filter cage actually you can put a rubber band around the top to keep the panty hose on. My fish store told me to do this because I had babies that I didn't want to get sucked in the filter it worked! Don't wrap it thick just one layer of the panty hose, it really works perfect!
You can also use a sponge. I switched to sponges after trying panty hose when the panty hose kept getting sucked into the filter and causing to to not run properly. I did buy cheap panty hose though, so that may have been my problem.

BetterBettaBuddy

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks everyone for the help..I will keep in touch, but for now I will leave his tail alone. I guess I am just a worry wart of a fish mom.

Compatability

Valued Member
Reaction score
Kyleena696 said:
You can also use a sponge. I switched to sponges after trying panty hose when the panty hose kept getting sucked into the filter and causing to to not run properly. I did buy cheap panty hose though, so that may have been my problem.
Really ? because I had panty hose on mine, just a thin layer in fact it's funny, I had a pair of Leggs sheer toe so I just stuck the tube in to the end of the foot part cut it and put a rubber band on and it worked perfect!

Compatability

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fanatic said:
Nope, you shouldn't ever attempt a fin clipping on a fish this small that won't stay still for you.
It's just a natural thing for longer, heavier types of tails. Don't try to alter things.
I agree plus wouldn't it be a painful task and kill your fish?

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Compatability said:
I agree plus wouldn't it be a painful task and kill your fish?
there are times when you need to do if the fishs genetics aren't strong enough to hold the weight of its fins. It's also not painful because you put them under with clove oil. The rayed parts of fins don't have pain receptors either, only the spined or meaty part of the fish has these.

Compatability

Valued Member
Reaction score
DutchAquarium said:
there are times when you need to do if the fishs genetics aren't strong enough to hold the weight of its fins. It's also not painful because you put them under with clove oil. The rayed parts of fins don't have pain receptors either, only the spined or meaty part of the fish has these.
That's interesting, I didn't know that a betta first would grow fins longer than he could handle.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom