Grindal worms for Kribs

RonP

I'm in Canada. Cannot obtain white worms or mosquito larva.
I have sourced a site for Grindal Worms. Plan to grow them when received. Are they a useful source for my breeding pair of Kribs?
Also, are they OK for my Mbuna, Demasoni and Multies?

Flyfisha

Hi RonP,
I have been culturing grindle worms for a few years.
The dwarf cichlids I have and the multies I used to keep consume them no problem.
I have no experience with Mbuna or Demasoni but 5 inch cichlids still find the wiggly worms irresistible.

chromedome52

Grindals are just a dwarf type of white worms, but they are also more heat resistant and easier to raise than regular white worms. Overfeeding them will make your fish develop fat deposits, but in moderation they are an excellent live food.

RonP

Thank you...started 2 cultures yesterday. Plan is to feed Kribs, Multies, Demasoni, Mbunas maybe Twice weekly. Smaller amount to Mbunas...does that make sense?

chromedome52

Certainly seems reasonable.

Linda1234

fyi kribs are not picky eaters and dry food works well with them. That was not your question but ... i fed mine bug bites and they basically went after any food that reached the bottom as well as plant matter. As for breeding. No special conditioning is required and no special food is required for the frys as long as the tank is well planted and mature. Sadly mine were such proficient breeders in a community tank i had to say bye to them after a few hatchings. Just too many frys were making it to adult hood and that was with predator cichlid in the aquarium with the kribs.

RonP

That is interesting Linda. I feed Bug bites, Frozen Brine Shrimp, a few Bloodworms rn.
My breeding pair of Kribs are not hearty eaters...sometimes don't visibly eat the Bug bites. I'm hoping the Grindals will stimulate them. Thanks for the input.

Flyfisha

I suggest with that many fish for you to be able to feed more than once a week you will need to split the culture between 3 or 4 small (5 i”x 8”) containers. Of course that depends on the size of the containers you are using now?

While glass is often recommended I like the
plastic needle point sheets sold at hand craft stores.

RonP

Thanks. I have 1 plastic container about 4"×4" , and a worms composter jar about 2 gallon size rn. I will start at least one more.
How long until these started yesterday before harvest?

RonP

How long is normal from startup to first harvest?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Flyfisha
Replies
Views
SixThreeOh
  • Question
Replies
Views
yukondog
  • Question