Grey Smudge On Parrot Fish Lip

Staceymay1983

Hey guys it's been a while since I've been on here but I haven't had any issues until now. Anyway.. 3 days ago I bought 2 medium sized blood parrots ( I know they are man made.. there is a long story behind getting these two beautiful guys so please don't lecture me I'll be glad to tell the story later) they were in a small tank and their water was kinda on the yellow side. I have them in my 75 gallon with 3 angels, 6 reed fish, 3 petra cats, and 4 serpa tetra ( hope I spelled Everything right) every one is happy and healthy. I do water changes every week. Sometimes 25% sometimes 50% sometimes a bit more to get all the grime out of the rocks. I'm crazy about testing the water. I've not had spikes or any problems for over 8 months.. I keep a log.. lol.. so I don't think it was my tank that may have caused a problem.. I noticed this morning the larger of the two parrots has a smudge like grey spot on his bottom lip. When I got home about 9 hours later I noticed he has a small grey smudge on the bottom of his left fin. Hes eating fine. Playing with the reed fish all the time. Seems fine other than the smudes. I can't figure out what this is and I want to be able to treat them and make em as happy as I can. Any advice will be great I'll.. Thanks!

P.s. sorry I posted twice I couldn't figure out how to change the category.

IMG_20181002_171618397_BURST001.jpg
IMG_20181002_171713108_BURST003.jpg
IMG_20181002_180030949_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20181002_180120118_BURST003.jpg
IMG_20181002_171739356_BURST004.jpg

A201

No need to apologize for buying a hybrid fish. Your Parrot also has little dark gray smudges on his back and belly.
IMO, the noted blemishes are ammonia burn. Probably a result from the noted yellow water tank you rescued them from.
Keep your tank clean, he should heal up fine. Note: The gray or black blotches might actually get worse before they eventually clear up. Nothing to worry about.

Nikki2577

I have 4 of these and the dark is usually a sign of stress and so is the patchy faded scales. I just got one that had been shipped and was very stressed and she looked really faded and patchy but after she calmed down she returned to her beautiful bright pink self

Staceymay1983

No need to apologize for buying a hybrid fish. Your Parrot also has little dark gray smudges on his back and belly.
IMO, the noted blemishes are ammonia burn. Probably a result from the noted yellow water tank you rescued them from.
Keep your tank clean, he should heal up fine. Note: The gray or black blotches might actually get worse before they eventually clear up. Nothing to worry about.

Thank you so much! I have been freaking out all day. I don't wanna medicate the tank if it don't need it. These guys are so full of personality and seem to absolutely love my Reed fish. They were so lifeless when I brought them home. A few hours later they were swimming and exploring all over. I just don't want anything to happen to these beautiful guys!

Staceymay1983

I have 4 of these and the dark is usually a sign of stress and so is the patchy faded scales. I just got one that had been shipped and was very stressed and she looked really faded and patchy but after she calmed down she returned to her beautiful bright pink self

I had a feeling stress could be part of the problem. I just know lil things can turn into huge things overnight! Thanks so much!

Nikki2577

Thank you so much! I have been freaking out all day. I don't wanna medicate the tank if it don't need it. These guys are so full of personality and seem to absolutely love my Reed fish. They were so lifeless when I brought them home. A few hours later they were swimming and exploring all over. I just don't want anything to happen to these beautiful guys!

I agree that they will be just fine

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nikki2577
Replies
Views
wishuponafish
Replies
Views
Hemikyle
Replies