Grey fluff in empty tank?

FrillyFia

Hi! I'm a little bit of a newbie, so please help me out here. I have a 20 gallon tank that is currently empty except for a java fern, an anubias (marble queen I think?), a marimo, and some java moss. The tank has been set up for just about a month now, and is completely cycled (I jumpstarted it w/media from an established tank). It isn't heated, because it's for an axolotl I'm getting in a couple of weeks. Params are 0/0/5. I'm using Flourish and Excel to give the plants a little boost before I have to cut the light down a whole bunch when I get the axolotl. Does anyone have any idea what this grey fluff might be? The only thing I've seen about grey fluff is fungus from excess food, but since I'm not feeding anything in there, could it be something else? It's not very pretty, and it gathers in large pools, for lack of a better word, especially on the leaves of my anubias. It isn't attached at all, and just floats away when I agitate the water around it. Thanks!

qchris87

Can you post a pic of it?

TheBigRichFish

It could be from organics in the excel/flourish. Try letting the plants do their own thing for a little, net the grey goo, and see if it reforms. Id say try no boosters for a week and test. I'm not an aquaplant pro tho.

FrillyFia

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1459832864.760163.jpgImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1459832875.060534.jpg I stirred up the biggest patches a while ago while trying to figure out what it is, but here's some of the smaller ones.

FrillyFia

TheBigRichFish, I'll try that, thanks. Do you think it could have any effect on the axolotl I'll be introducing in a couple weeks? I don't want to put the little one in danger, and I could delay getting the axolotl for a little while longer if necessary.

TheBigRichFish

I wouldnt think so but it is unidentified and again I'm no pro...

Aichmalotizo

It looks more brownish than Grey in the pics. Could just be diatoms. Take a pic when the patches get big again, so we can get a clearer view

TheBigRichFish

Did some searchin and while noone had answers many have had the problem lol. Most came from adding too many nutrients/food so I still feel that is an issue. Water changes are also a cure for a lot of things.

Top Bottom