Gremlin's pond - again

Status
Not open for further replies.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, I did my Spring Cleaning on Saturday. I took pictures of each of my goldies. It took about four hours to drain, clean, take pictures, and refill the pond, but it was worth it. It looks so much better all cleaned out. You can see the bottom of the pond looks green from all the moss growing. I'll be checking the temperature for the next couple days to make sure it stays above 68 degrees. If it does, I can move my cleaning crew back out to the pond. I'll take pictures of them when I move them.

Anyway, here are some of my goldfish - in a 2.5 gallon tank for the pictures. Then into a holding tank while I finish cleaning the pond, then back into the pond after it is all clean and refilled.

Pic one is an orange male, pic two is an orange and white female, pic three is another orange male, pic four is an orange and white female that is from my sister's spawn last summer and pic five is a mostly white male (he has an orange spot on each of his pectoral fins).

Attachments

OP
gremlin

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Here is another white and orange female, then four of the babies from my sister's 2009 spawn. One of them she wants back since it looks to be a female shubunkin. That would be the really pretty blue/white/black one that has blue eyes. Several of the babies seem to be crosses between the shubunkins and the goldfish.

Attachments

OP
gremlin

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Pic one is another orange male.

Pic two is an orange and white male that another sister had in a 10 gallon tank until it started "bullying" the other goldfish so she gave it to me.

Pic three is my nice big black goldfish.

Pic four is Mr Crispy - so named because he flipped up onto some rocks and got stuck. When I found him, he had crisped up in the sun and I thought sure he was dead. I put him back in the water to rinse him off and see if he was dead or not and he sort of swam/floated away so I left him in the pond. He had no fins left at all and was badly sunburned all over his body. As you can see, his fins have all grown back quite nicely and his tail is starting to grow back also. His body is still a bit scarred looking, but he has healed up fairly nicely.

Pic five is another one of the babies. I love the coloring on this one - it almost reminds me of Koi markings.

Attachments

OP
gremlin

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
And here are 5 more of the babies from my sister's 09 spawn. Not sure if these are goldfish, shubunkin, or crosses. Doesn't really matter to me, they are pretty no matter what their parentage. There are several more of the babies that are still black. I'm hoping that at least of couple of them will stay black, but they are still too small to tell for sure.

Attachments

OP
gremlin

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is Lil Crip. She (I think) was born with a crooked spine. She is one of the babies from my sister's spawn and I think her egg may have been damaged when my sister moved the moss that was full of eggs from her pond to the pool she had set up. As you can see from the pictures, her spine is quite twisted. It is not easy for her to swim, she tires easily. She rests in the stems of the lily plant but does swim fairly well. She eats just fine and seems to be doing okay. She is my "special" fish and had a home for as long as she needs one.

The next two pics are of the pond all filled up and running again. The fish are quite happy to have a nice clean pond. You can see one of the new pvc/rock caves that I just put in. It already has moss growing on the rock. My cleaning crew will love having those to hide in - as long as they don't mind sharing with the goldfish.

The last pic is of the pond all cleaned out but not filled yet. You can see the two shelves and the two pvc caves. You can also see how green it looks. That is all moss that has been growing over the winter. I can't wait to see how long it will take for my cleaning crew to remove all that wonderful moss.

Attachments

charzar-g

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I love it gremlin, Can i ask what cleaning crew you have??? I've never heard of anyone having a cleaning crew for a pond before

OP
gremlin

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I love it gremlin, Can i ask what cleaning crew you have??? I've never heard of anyone having a cleaning crew for a pond before
My cleaning crew consists of 2 sailfin plecos (they'll have all that nice green moss gone in no time), 1 chinese algae eater (helps with the moss and eats the snails), and 3 cories (they also help with the snails). Since they are all pretty much tropical, I end up having to wait until the water in the pond stays above 70. It was above 70 Sunday and Monday, but then we had a "storm" system move through. It was supposed to rain but it didn't. It did get cooler though, and the water temp went down to 63. My cleaning crew is still waiting inside. Oh well. I wish I could have warm water and cool air. That would be nice. Unfortunately, the way my pond is placed, there is no place for me to hide a mini-water heater!

Very nice! Do you do this every spring?
I usually do a good clean out every spring once the weather starts to warm up and then every fall when I bring my cleaning crew in. Sometimes I end up doing another major water change/clean out if we have a bad dust storm or something.

OP
gremlin

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yep, she's a sweetheart. She rests in the stems of the lilies since it is kind of hard for her to swim. She gets tired easily.

Temperature update - the pond is still too cool for my cleaning crew. The water only got up to 68 degrees Farenheit today. It is supposed to get warmer this next week so I'll see if it gets warm enough to put them out.

OP
gremlin

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, the pond is finally staying above 70 degrees, so my cleaning crew went outside on Friday. My three cories, my chinese algae eater, and my two sailfin plecos. The pond has lots of moss for them to munch on. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to clear off all the moss. My two plecos are both over a foot long now. I will put up pictures once I get them loaded off my camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom