Greetings

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Thunder_o_b, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I have been involved in aquatics for around 50 years, but am FAR from an expert. I am also an avid photographer specializing in macro and close up shots of nature. So the two go very well together. Here is a sample of fishy friends past and present.

1a. From a school of 11 glass cats.
    [​IMG]

2a. At the Akron zoo.
    [​IMG]

3. Cleveland zoo.
    [​IMG]

4. From our school of 20 golden long fined danios.
    [​IMG]

5. Eye of one of our albino corys.
    [​IMG]

6. Male gourmi.
    [​IMG]

7. Male beta, no longer with us.
    [​IMG]

8. Marble angel, no longer with us.
    [​IMG]

9. one of our frogs.
    [​IMG]

10. Newly free swimming baby albino bristle nose plecky.
    [​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Greetings #2

Been looking around, looks like a nice place.;)

3. Reefdweller

Reefdweller Valued Member Member

Welcome. It is a good place and I have been on other forums to check them out but fishlore is my favorite hands down. Hang around and I think you will feel the same way. :;toast

4. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

Welcome Thunder!!!

Glad to have you here!!! This is an awesome site not only for information, but sharing, caring and even venting.

I hope you find you learn as much about our unique fish as I have been learning!

5. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :;toast

Nice to have you here :). I love your pictures! They're awesome.

6. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thank you RogueAgent :D

7. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum. Amazing photos!

8. h

hobo Valued Member Member

Hello I Concur Very Nice Pics :;hi1

9. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thank you catsma :D

Thank you hobo :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2012
  10. Disc61

Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore, glad to have you with us. Wow, Pics are beautiful .

11. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

I hope to be able to contribute in some small way.

Been thinking of moving into salts, so I have much to learn.

Seems like a friendly, and resource rich place.

Thank you Disc :D

Sunhawk (my wife) got me a discus on our anniversary in Aug. It has calmed down to the point that I should be able to photograph it soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2012
  12. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

Welcome!:;hi2 Those pics are insane!!!:eek:! What did you use to take them?

13. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Gorgeous fish, incredible photos!
    That danio...how'd you get the little sucker to sit still?! I want your secret!! LOL

That isn't a marble angel, though. That's a koi angel. The gourami is a Pearl gourami, but you are correct about it being male. :)

14. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thank you Ziggi :D

Shots 1-4 were taken with a Canon 5DMKII, Sigma f/2.8 150mm macro lens, MT24 twin head flash diffused with clip-on diffusers in a Novoflex bracket, handheld.

I believe shot 5 was taken with a Canon 50D, MP-E64 lens set to 3:1, MT24 twin flash with clip-on diffusers mounted on the lens, handheld.

Shots 6-10 were taken with a Canon 50D, Sigma f/2.8 150mm macro lens, 580EXII diffused with a soft box, mounted in a side bracket, handheld.

I can post shots of the rigs if you would like to see them.

15. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98 Well Known Member Member

love the photos, they are amazing.
    welcome,

16. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thank you Eienna :D

The shot is made possible through the use of a twin head flash balanced with the ISO setting. But, it did take around 10 tries…They are fast little buggers:D

17. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

I'm a wannabe-rookie photographer... at best. I'm DYING to get my paws on a DSLR camera so I can take some pics/video atleast 1/4 as good as that! OMG!... Unfortunately, none of that make sense to me :'( but thanks for sharing and offering! (I'm not speaking for anyone else on here though) I'll get into a photography class one of these days. That still insane! :D LOVE IT!!!

18. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

Thank you FishFanatic :D

19. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

No kidding XD I've tried to get photos of mine but all I got were blue and gold blurs.

I don't have the money for fancy equipment like that - it all goes to my pets! XD

20. OP
    OP
    Thunder_o_b

I will be happy to help you in photography. Am I allowed to post a link to one of the photo forums that I am a member of? Before you spend money on a course, there are lot of resources at that site that will be of great help for free. With that knowledge you will be better able to decide what classes are best suited to your needs.

Yeah, sadly some of the equipment is costly. It took me a long time to acquire it. Like you the little ones come first with me.

One of the things that you might try is the method that I have used for a long time, and seems to work pretty well. Every time you are around the aquarium have your camera, especially at feeding time. The fishies will learn to associate the camera with something good and be less jumpy after a while. And then being full from feeding, they will be a bit slower.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice