Greetings from Erie Pennsylvania!

1. I_Have_Fissues Initiate Member

I have been keeping freshwater fish for as long as I can remember. When I was a little kid, I used to sit in front of my parents' tank waiting for the "kissing fish" to kiss, which happened only once for me. I used to help my dad change out the carbon and pack new aquarium wool in those old goofy filters... those were the days, huh?

I have a 30 gallon tank, three 10's, and ten 1-gallon tanks for my bettas. I also have a 10-gallon hospital tank which I often use to help friends' fishies as well as my own. Nobody wants to be flushed! I breed swordtails now and then, and I'm currently obsessed with breeding betta splendens.

I love the beauty and grace of fish, and the aquariums provide excellent "cat TV" programming for the cats in our household. My husband and I are proud parents of fish and felines! :;pumpkin

2. Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

Welcome
    Interesting fish keeping you do

3. bryanmc1988 Initiate Member

welcome to FL, this a great community and lots of advice and help..

4. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Pleasure to meet you!

5. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello there and :sign0016: !

I remember those days. My favorites were the swordtails and bettas, too. We had green swordtails (they weren't considered "fancy" back then).

6. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore. It sounds like you have a lot of experience yourself.:cool:

7. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore! Hope you find what you are looking for in a forum here.....

8. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

Welcome fellow Pennsylvanian!

9. I_Have_Fissues Initiate Member

Are green swordtails considered fancy now?

10. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

I wouldn’t call them fancy but rarer. The wild color (greenish) has become less common in the trade due to the rise in all the other color varieties. The wild or natural color dropped in popularity due to the plainer duller look as compared to the brighter reds and mixed color fish. Now days it is a lot harder to find a pure strain that still maintains the wild colors. Recently some have gotten back to trying to raise the wild varieties so they don’t disappear totally.

11. I_Have_Fissues Initiate Member

That makes sense why I'm having trouble finding greens. I found a green male but not a female. I just wanted a pair so I could have greens and be all nostalgic to breed them like I did when I was a kid and say "Oh those were the days..." :)

12. Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Hello and welcome to Fishlore, we take many a bike ride to Erie and back from Central Pennsylvania. nice country up there. glad to have you on the forum with us.

13. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi and welcome to fishlore

14. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello yes, I suppose I called the greens "fancy" because they cost more than the other varieties do nowadays. That seems strange to me, because back in the day it was the RED swordtails that cost a pretty penny. But when I was a kid I liked the green swords better anyway. :) Also I seem to remember them having more color then than the green ones of today.

15. I_Have_Fissues Initiate Member

I do remember that! My parents had greens, and they were all excited when they got a pair of reds... but I still liked the greens. The male had a little black mark above his top lip, and I used to say that he had a mustache and wanted my dad to grow one to be like the fish. Good grief, how silly I was. Now look what I've become... the fish, the fish, THE FIIIIISSSSSHHHH!!!

16. blu3dragon619 Member Member

welcome to FL