Greetings Everyone!

ModelAFish

John here, nice to be aboard!

After almost 20 years, I decided that it was time to jump back into the hobby. I've been thinking about it for a while and figured that it was high time I got another hobby (I mean Model Railroading, Gardening, Golf and... just aren't enough right?) There's a really good local shop here and a few weeks ago I went and stuffed a 75g and all the accoutrement into the car and away I went. A dozen trips back and forth for plants, and fish, and STUFF and quite a few more than those dozen trips between the kitchen and living room with buckets O' water and I've got things headed in the right direction.

A bit about myself. I was introduced to the hobby by my father. I actually can't remember a time when there wasn't at least one tank going. Usually more like 16! I probably spent as much time hauling buckets as I did shooting buckets when I was a kid. Learned about responsibility (no, they don't need to be fed 10 times a day), chemistry , geography and that the fishes and the fishes were much more interesting than the birds and the bees.

We bred fancy guppies, the occasional cichlid, and my favorite Sailfin Mollies. After he passed, I kept the tradition on for a time; but, you know: Life.

I've quickly discovered that I forgot more than I know about fish, that things have changed quite a bit but that they've also stayed the same. I still remember how to cycle a tank, although from reading here there are easier ways to do it now. As with everything, people have varying and strong opinions on that one. Everyone still has their own filter preference, and while the technology has improved I'm not all that sure the engineering or quality control has. The old standby box filter is still around, though I'm a bit underwhelmed by the "improvements" on them. What ever happened to the good old (where they Jehmco??) ones that came in 3 sizes + corner, square and round? Tanks are a bit different but mostly the same. Most of the traditional sizes seem to be there, but we've gained some new ones. New manufacturers have added a dizzying array of shapes and sizes but it seems that I won't be finding a place for a 155 Bowfront any time soon, though I'm sure I could have one built for something absurd

Lastly amongst the changes is Aquascaping. I'm fascinated by this rabbit hole. YouTube is the devil! haha. Someone in the fishkeeping hobby discovered Ansel Adams I see! Its very interesting and I enjoy what people do very much, but I've always been a bit of a rebel and do my own thing anyhow. That's one of the best things about this hobby though, there has always been enough room to do things however you want to do them. I'm glad to be back in it. Its also therapy. Even though Dad's been gone for 25 years, this past year of the pandemic has been tough on everyone and I've thought about him quite a bit. This brings me closer again.

Anyhow, thanks for reading! Here's a pic of how things were a couple of weeks ago. I'll start a build thread with lots more pictures. Hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• 1st Pic.JPEG
    1st Pic.JPEG
    228.3 KB · Views: 17

fallfever

Welcome John, and I'm enjoying the Star Wars theme in your tank. And happy you are reconnecting with your Dad and finding, like I do, that this hobby is therapeutic? I haven't seen a water bucket since I discovered the python. If you haven't seen it, look it up! Now I'm off to google Jehmco and box filters

86 ssinit

Welcome John. You’ll find lots of good people here who really love to answer questions. See your on the right track already. Noticed the tidal filter. Good choice . Just saw a video of a railroad track going through a fish tank. Pretty interesting!

ModelAFish

Welcome John, and I'm enjoying the Star Wars theme in your tank. And happy you are reconnecting with your Dad and finding, like I do, that this hobby is therapeutic? I haven't seen a water bucket since I discovered the python. If you haven't seen it, look it up! Now I'm off to google Jehmco and box filters

Thank you! And yep, a bit of a SW geek I've thought about the Python. Question for you since you have it, does it connect to various faucets? My LFS has a video about it, but it looks like its screwed into the faucet of a laundry tub sink that has threads. I'd like to switch over to that after I drop a 33 long under the 75 And... you water condition AFTER it goes in the tank?

Welcome John. You’ll find lots of good people here who really love to answer questions. See your on the right track already. Noticed the tidal filter. Good choice . Just saw a video of a railroad track going through a fish tank. Pretty interesting!

Ohhhh no! Don't give me any ideas!!! (maybe if I do that under a putting green...) The Tidal works well. I'm a little annoyed with a couple of things about it (not amazingly quiet, intake pipe is a pain to pop off and while its removable to get it out of the way... the leveling screw is removable and I've crawled around on the floor looking under the tank stand for it on more than one occasion). Other than that, plenty of room for media and it has a skimmer! Which is awesome!

Thanks for the welcome!!

aquachris

Welcome to Fishlore, and welcome back to the hobby! Thanks for sharing a pic of your tank and fish! I admit, I'm not a "star wars fan" but I do really really like the setup!

fallfever

Thank you! And yep, a bit of a SW geek I've thought about the Python. Question for you since you have it, does it connect to various faucets? My LFS has a video about it, but it looks like its screwed into the faucet of a laundry tub sink that has threads. I'd like to switch over to that after I drop a 33 long under the 75 And... you water condition AFTER it goes in the tank?

Ohhhh no! Don't give me any ideas!!! (maybe if I do that under a putting green...) The Tidal works well. I'm a little annoyed with a couple of things about it (not amazingly quiet, intake pipe is a pain to pop off and while its removable to get it out of the way... the leveling screw is removable and I've crawled around on the floor looking under the tank stand for it on more than one occasion). Other than that, plenty of room for media and it has a skimmer! Which is awesome!

Thanks for the welcome!!
The python was an inspiration for me. It does require a faucet with threads (though the laundry sink I added somehow didn't fit) but thanks to the fine folks at Home Depot I was able to find an adapter that worked. Worth it. There are also other brands and when you have multiple tanks they come in handy. They have no effect on the the tap water. I do use a thermometer to approximate the temperature but nothing else. I still use a bucket for deep cleaning but I rather enjoy maintaining the tanks. I never claimed to be normal

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MyFishAddiction
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
HupGuppHup
Replies
Views