Greenish Cloudy Water

Kinger124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
20180510_190029.jpg
20180510_190039.jpg

Tank has been cycled for almost a month-and-a-half.
2 weeks ago I rinsed out my fx6 and added Matrix, purigen, and a carbon infused pad.
My ammonia nitrites are zero and nitrates are low.

I did a water change last week and added seachem clarity. I thought I would get crystal clear water between Clarity and purigen but I was wrong.
I'm thinking about doing 25% water changes everyday until the water starts becoming clear. But I need some recommendations on what to do. I assume that this is an algae bloom?
Two weeks ago there was some green hair algae on the glass but between the snails and the shrimp I don't see a speck of algae just hazy cloudy water.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep, that looks like a good green algae bloom & it basically needs two things to grow, light & food so to beat it without using chemicals restrict the light getting to it by turning your lights off for a few days (or at least cutting the time they're on) & don't feed the tank's inhabitants for a couple of days (don't worry everything will survive). If the problem persists you might want to invest in a UV light for your filtration system, I have one running 24/7 & it deals with algae, bacterial bloom & lots of other little nasties that can be present in your tank water.

Kinger124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh ya. I was running the light from 7am to 8pm previously.

This is my first planted tank. My 30 gallon i used to keep the light on for that long no problem and crystal clear water with nothing but tap water conditioner.

So I've now got the light running from 10am til 8pm.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kinger124 said:
So I've now got the light running from 10am til 8pm.
10 hours is still a tad too long really, don't forget your tank will get natural light as well during daylight hours, I set mine for 8 hours a day & apart from an initial bacterial bloom when I started the tank up I've had no probs with algae or bacteria since but then I do have a UV filter running as well which helps massively. Nice tank set up you have there by the way, once you get that haze sorted I bet it looks stunning.

Kinger124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The tank is in game room with no windows so there's no natural light

Kinger124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Poop.. I just didn't want any more extra equipment inside the tank

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kinger124 said:
I wouldn't want extra garbage in my tank as well. I think you need to cut your tanks light down. So if nobody is home at 7am cause everybody is out and about why have it on? Nobody is there to see it. I work at home and my tanks are all off until 500 pm and the lights come on and off at 12 am.

Try killing the lights over the weekend, change the water, and change the timer to have it come on at 4:00 PM and off by 10 or 11 PM.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kinger124 said:
Yeah, I know what you mean, too many pipes & pumps in the tank spoils the aesthetics but it does look quite small so you could maybe hide it behind that big piece of drift wood on the right of the tank???

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't think you need a UV machine to get rid of it. You'd be treating the symptom, not the problem. Reduce your lighting to 6-7 hours (use a timer so the lights can be on when you're home).

Kinger124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a current USA light and 24-hour ramp timer. I'll limit the lighting I guess. I just kind of want it on longer on the weekends so we can see the fish

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Then you could try something like 6 hours during the week and 8-10 hours on the weekends only. You could also get a second light that you only turn on during the weekends - one that isn't as strong and isn't as likely to cause algae, but can still let you see your fish.

Kinger124

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

I adjusted the lighting on friday and noticed a SLIGHT difference on saturday. I opted to go with some UV Sterilization just to help and also protect against future flare ups.

This photo is only 13 hours after installation.... I can't wait to see what it looks like at the end of the week.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom