Greenish Algae On Sammy :(

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello once again! I'm just seeing this today and I don't understand why. I guess I just always thought her shell was dirty but now I'm worried. I read a bunch of stuff on Google and Fishlore but I still don't know what this is or if I should be worried. But as you can see, there is a build up of some sort of algae that I think is green. I've heard of a bad algae that is blue or green and I'm wondering if this is what that is. Also, her antennae has a crook in it. Why??
20180507_170558.jpg

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The new growth on the shell looks great. I wouldn't worry about the algae on the shell as long as she's acting fine from a snail-health perspective. It probably occurred due to less than ideal tank conditions previously. The antennae may be damaged from a previous injury if she hasn't had any injuries in your tank, or she may just be holding it strangely. My favorite is when the roll them into little curls

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Snails often get algae on their shells. I wouldn't worry about it.

StormTrooper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks you guys! That's great to hear. But now something else weird is going on! I've had her for like 5 months now and today I looked over at the tank and she was floating! This has happened twice now today. I'm really worried my bf just picked her up and kept turning her slowly underwater and bubbles came out. This just happened so she's in her shell now, but the first time she came out like 2 minutes later just fine. Is this normal???

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, it is quite common for Mysteries to float around with their shells closed up. They will do it when they are well fed and not hungry. They will eventually release some air and dive to the bottom and start moving around. Every one I have ever had has done it from time to time.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom