Green Water

Marlin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I decided to get a new aquarium and using only live plants a few days ago and I already set everything up. After 5 days I woke up today to find that the water is now green. I haven't added any fishes cause I was cycling the tank and I didn't use anything from my other aquarium. So i want to know if this is because of the plants or is this something I need to fix

Guppykid101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Marlin said:
I decided to get a new aquarium and using only live plants a few days ago and I already set everything up. After 5 days I woke up today to find that the water is now green. I haven't added any fishes cause I was cycling the tank and I didn't use anything from my other aquarium. So i want to know if this is because of the plants or is this something I need to fix
Is there anything else at all in the tank besides the plants? Any driftwood?

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Marlin said:
How much light does the tank get??

Marlin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
i believe it was 12,000 and i leave it on for 13 hours a day just because its still pretty new was planning on limiting the time once the tank was more stable. Also, no there's nothing other than the plants

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Marlin said:
No, i believe it was 12,000 and i leave it on for 13 hours a day just because its still pretty new was planning on limiting the time once the tank was more stable
I definitely would try cutting back n the lights!!

Marlin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ah, I was looking around and I saw that some people would leave the lights on for long periods of time when starting new plants but if thats the case ill cut the time back than

Hipsterkipster

Reaction score
When it's a cycling tank, you risk a huge algae bloom with lights since algae spores "activate" with ammonia. Healthy plants can usually fight against it, but yours are probably still establishing. You can always up the lights once your ammonia cycles to nitrates.

Good luck!

sloughdog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How big is the tank?
Agree with cutting back the lighting. Maybe 7-8hrs/day max. Does the tank receive any natural sunlight? If so, you may have to cut back the lighting even more.

Marlin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Tanks 30g and no its near a window but not in directly sunlight

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom