Help Green water in bottom half of tank

Courten

Reaction score
I've had small 5 gallon tanks before but this 20 gallon is the biggest I've ever own. When I switched from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon I immediately started having algae growth as well as green water that seems to linger in the bottom half of the tank. I tested the water and the strips say the GH is a little low and nitrite is a little high. I am using the top fin silent stream filter that came with the tank with the topfin PF-L filter cartridges. Doing a 25% water change once a week to try and fix the problem but it has persisted now a few weeks.
I have a black skirt tetra, 2 santa claus sword tails and 3 neon(Glo)tetras. I have live plants that seem to have some algae growth on them.
I'm just at a loss and have no idea what to do. Please help.

Attachments

ojdgtjc

Reaction score
looks kinda like an algae bloom. the reason they appear at the bottom half is because your light light up the top part. I had a bloom last month with my 55, and I bought the cheap 2 dollar tetra "no more Algae" and it is crystal clear in no more than a week. it worked miracles for me lol

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You need to do some deep gravel vacs and keep the lights on less or do a total blackout for a week or so. There is probably a lot of waste in the substrate.

BobbyGregg

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ojdgtjc said:
looks kinda like an algae bloom. the reason they appear at the bottom half is because your light light up the top part. I had a bloom last month with my 55, and I bought the cheap 2 dollar tetra "no more Algae" and it is crystal clear in no more than a week. it worked miracles for me lol
I heard this was bad for shrimp, snails, and plecos, try not to add chems to your tank, try and figure out why this happens. Probably from you're light being on more than 8 straight hrs, or possibly your tank is by a window with sun light on the tanks.

kallililly1973 said:
You need to do some deep gravel vacs and keep the lights on less or do a total blackout for a week or so. There is probably a lot of waste in the substrate.
I agree with kallililly, you don't need your light on all day, some do some dont, my lights are on for 12hrs but I have a hungry pleco who just keeps my 60 gallonspotless and I also have a Siamese Algae Eater just incase the Black Beard comes back. I have 6 tanks I don't clean the glass on any tank, don't use scrapers or magnets and they are spotless, I use plecos, shrimp and snails and with lights the same time and there's no algae.

I like the lights on and I know it causes algae so I found what works for each tank to battle the algae.
You should look into getting 3-4 amano shrimp or a couple nertite snails they will clean that tank in 2 days and keep it clean for a long time, there is plecos that don't get big like a Bristle Nose pleco I also think the Hillstream Loach is a fantastic cleaner and beautiful to watch glide through the tank

on another note: get rid of those strips, they are not accurate, look into API Freshwater Testing kit, litlle more pricey, but in the long run its accurate and will last a long time compared to the strips.

New Threads