Green water help

Badhoneyboo22

Hey guys so I have a 40 gal breeder with a 36w hygger LED light that is on a 10 hour timer and is dimmed. Aquaclear 79 filter with added sponge and biomedia. Nitrates are around 10ppm 0 nitrites, ph just below 7, temp 79, fairly heavy stocking with 20 tiger barbs and some cory cats. I have an Amazon sword with several crypts, Taiwan lily's, red tiger lotus, ludwigia, and a bunch of water sprite in the tank. I also don't dose any fertilizer and have regular gravel as my substrate with root tabs. The tank has been set up for nearly 3 months now. Any ideas why my water is green and cloudy!?!?!

Mudminnow

Green water usually comes from high light coupled with heavy stocking/overfeeding. Higher temperatures usually contribute as well.

So, some possible things that could help:
  • Shorter light cycle (maybe try 6-8 hours instead of 10)
  • Make sure you're not over feeding
  • Lower the temperature down to 75° or so
If non of the above helps:
  • try a blackout
And, ultimately:

Flyfisha

Green water is a mixture of floating algae and single cell creatures similar to plankton. Some are almost plants and some are true algae.

It is common to call green water just a floating algae.

To grow the algae you need light and high levels of nutrients.

To limit its growth even after you chemically kill it you need low nutrients with less light hours.

The solution.
Have the lights on for 8 hours maximum but for 7 hours until you stop the outbreak.
Add a ton of fast growing plants with their leaves in the air. And do more water changes without adding fertiliser.

A UV filter will kill the algae but not stop it coming back if you don’t change the rest.

From personal experience it’s possible to slow green water with just Duckweed. Not that I recommend duckweed in an aquarium but it will lower nutrients when deliberately trying to grow green water you should have no plants.

A snapshot of green water tanks used as a culture food for fry.

554EDBFD-2845-4CBE-B3F9-915FD4193DA0.jpeg

ProudPapa

I've had good luck battling green water by reducing light to 6 hours per day and adding a bunch of live plants, even if they're just temporary.

Badhoneyboo22

Thank you all for the input! A quick update, my tank was green for about two weeks. then I started dosing nearly double the fertilizer and did a single big water change and now it seems to be getting crystal clear.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
Chiasmodon
  • Question
Replies