Green Water/algae After Horrible Incident

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by Goldie&Yami, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Goldie&Yami

Goldie&YamiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +187
    Experience:
    Just started
    Good afternoon guys. I'm in a bit of a bind. I have a 20 gallon tall with corydoras, and snails. I've had it for about an year and half. They have been very happy and healthy up til this point. About a month ago my husband and I split up and I had no choice but to leave my tank behind temporarily. I know while I was fone he didn't take care of it. About a week after I left a HUGE water moccasin found it's way in my tank and I'm not even sure how long it was in there before somebody even noticed. I'm not entirely sure what caused the green water but I want it gone asap. I have read a few threads in here mostly talking about green machines right now I can't afford to spend 50$ on one.
    What are my alternatives?
    Can I use medicines with my snails in the tank?
    Thank you in advance!

2. Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +210
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would start by doing the biggest water change possible, and do maintenance on the filter as much as possible without affecting your beneficial bacteria and cycle.

Vaccum the gravel as much as possible and remove the algae from the walls of the aquarium and decorations. Make sure the light isn’t on for too long.

See where that takes you. It should help.

3. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,272
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
  4. Zka17

Zka17Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +116
    Water changes and turn off the lights for a week! Make sure that no light can get into the aquarium...

5. OP
    OP
    Goldie&Yami

Ratings:
    +187
    Experience:
    Just started
    I took out everything but one gallon of water just enough to keep my fish in water. I can't vacuum or clean the tank/tank items until I get the rest of my stuff tho. I had an entire fish care kit. (It was a plastic bathroom carrying caddy lol) it had everything I will ever need. (Water prime, old toothbrushes, plastic cards[for tank/filter cleaning], gravel vacuum, fish food, spare filter cartridges and much more) The whole shebang anything you would need to take care of a fish tank. He still has it at his place. I left the light off from Friday night over the whole weekend until yesterday afternoon. I noticed a slight difference in water clarity..I turned it on for a few hrs yesterday so my plants can get some light.

6. OP
    OP
    Goldie&Yami

Ratings:
    +187
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have this filter. And the Top Fin that came with the tank at Petsmart. The Top Fin is about 100 GPH but I use it for extra sponges and 'rocks' media so its flow is at minimal. Maybe only 50 GPH. And under my Aquaeon I have a small plastic container attached with extra sponges in it. Serves 2 purposes more extra media for beneficial bacteria and it slows the flow since Aquaeon doesn't have a flow control. If I connect this to my filter will the flow be better controlled or will it stay the same?

Attached Files:

7. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,272
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Probably. Only need it to clear your green water then remove it.