Green Tip Anemone floated to overflow filter

diver28
well, I'm really bummed. I just put in a new Green Tip Anemone with colored bottom. I came down this morning to turn on the t5 ho lighting and he was gone. I found him mostly sucked into the overflow box at the top... I pulled him out but he's all torn up.. I think he's dead already.... can anyone help me with why this happened? I drip acclimated the guy for 30 min before putting him in. I did keep him right under the light at first so he might have been thinking to go higher to get to strong light.... don't know.. ugh.. tough day.

he is still alive. I have him currently in an isolated plastic container that is tilted to get new water via the current. He is directly under the t5 lighting. His tentacles have reacted better from this morning. I think he has a chance at survivoring. He is stuck to the side of the box.. good sign. Any tips please help.

Water temp is 77 now.

agsansoo
The first two weeks are the hardiest for a anemone, adjusting to his new surroundings. Is his mouth open or closed ?

diver28
Overall he is pretty open right now but I can't see his mouth. Also, when I first pulled him out of the overflow it looked like his mouth was damaged. When I went home for lunch he was guarding his mouth but his tentacles were plump and full.

What should be my next steps? I plan on keeping him in that container for a few days and maybe thinking of trying to sink it with something heavy so when he's ready to explore again he can.

agsansoo
So long as hes getting plenty of water flow and light. I would leave him in the box for a few days. Let him out when you have more time to watch him explore the tank. The best thing to keep him in one location is to feed him right away. How big is he ? Can you post a photo ?

diver28
He's about 4 inches long. I took him out of the box as he wasn't attached to the side anymore and he was upside down. He's been exploring the tank and has a foothold on one of my coral inserts. I placed some filter pad over the overflow grooves to hopefully prevent the same mistake. The clowns haven't touched it yet. Are you sure I should feed it if the mouth is damaged?

Also, my Powder Blue tank is going crazy. He is really jerking and finiky.. looks super stressed... I'm super stressed.. bummer.

agsansoo
Are you sure he's still alive ? Is he on a rock or on top of the sand ? As for feeding him ... I really need to see a picture of his mouth and the damage.

diver28
He is actually attached in between a crevice in my fake coral insert. His foot seems to be secure in a safe area. Also, he is facing away from the front of the Aquarium so I can't see his mouth and its impossible to get a view of it now. However, the clowns started to host the anemone today! Is that a good sign? The damage to his mouth may have not been as bad as I thought. But I think he could still open up much more.

I'll try and get pictures up asap. Sorry for the delay.

Pics

I've pasted some pics.. since then my anemone has curled into a ball and re-opened. I think it naturally gave off waste. I can't get a real good pic from the back... I also posted some other stuff for everyone to look at.. I'll try and get a pic of the powder blue with some of the black ich on him.

agsansoo
Is the first picture, what the anemone looks like now or before ? In the last photo he is deflated. Was that temporary ?

diver28
The anemone is open now.. the deflated was only temporary.. before that he let out some waste it looked like. LFS said it was normal and that it was probably healing well. He hasn't moved from his spot.. I think its doing ok.

agsansoo
He looks good and your Ocellaris likes him too. Just don't forget to feed him every 7 to 14 days !

diver28
Gotcha, he seems to prefer the actinic light from my t5's. Also, I fed him Mysis Shrimp the other day.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ernest Sacco
Replies
Views
JRDroid
Replies
Views
cara89
Replies
Views