Green Tiger Barbs With Ich, New Filter Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by EpicNational, Apr 20, 2018.

1. EpicNationalNew MemberMember

Hi everyone,
    I have my first case of Ich from some new fish I got from my LFS. They are Green(blue?) Tiger Barbs. My loaches seem to be acting a bit bothered, so I think its spreading to my other fish. I was planning on raising the temp to 86 like most say on this site, so I just bought an adjustable heater off amazon to do just that(my current one just keeps a constant temp around 76) , and while all my other fish, from reading up on their ideal aquarium stats, will deal with that temp, it looks like barbs prefer no more than 80?

It seems like this is mostly an issue with oxygen content of the water, as hotter water can't keep as much oxygen dissolved. A forum post suggested that having a good filter/aeration would solve this, and possibly allow the barbs to handle the higher temps.

I have a planted tank with just an HOB filter atm, with yoyo loaches, some glowlight rasboras, and the Green Tiger barbs. Will they most likely survive raising the temp to 86 for a week or two?
    If not, my question is would upgrading to a better filter, or buying some kind of aerator work, and if so, what would everyone here suggest buying? My aquarium knowledge is limited, so any experienced advice about great products to buy/where to go from here would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    EpicNational

2. CraniumRexWell Known MemberMember

Hi and welcome. Sucks that your first post had to be about ich. Sorry to hear.

I had kuhlis that weathered a raise in temp - best you can do for the yoyos is raise the temp and watch them carefully for signs of stress.

I had my temp at 86 for 2 weeks. You do not need a new filter! I dropped the water level in the tank to increase aeration (HOB should create more splash). You could add an airstone (which do not oxygenate the water but create more surface agitation to add exchange with the air). You just need an air pump, tubing, and a stone. Make sure it creates a lot of disturbance at the surface.

Do water changes and vacuum the substrate as well. Not sure how much you know about treating ich, it can be done with just temp but do not think that because the spots are gone the disease is gone. I did vacuums and water changes either every day or every other day for 10 days after seeing the spots gone. These are actually cysts that fall to the floor and can explode with more ich inside that spreads all over. Temp of 86 will keep them from reproducing AFTER they are off your fish.

Good luck and keep us posted.

3. EpicNationalNew MemberMember

Thanks for the response!

I don't have experience with ich, but I've taken antibiotics before, haha, so I'm very aware that you have to keep treating even after the symptoms go away.
    However, I'm not aware about how long you should keep the temp at 86 while treating ich. It sounds like you suggest at least 10 days after?

I wont be getting the heater until tomorrow, but until then I did a 50% water change this morning, and another about an hour ago, as well as vacuuming the substrate with a siphon, and dripped warm water back in over a few hours each time to try and raise the temp a bit until I get the heater.

Ill keep the water level a bit lower than usual to increase the amount of splash! Thanks for that tip!

Should I look into getting any meds? I bought some food pellets for Ich on amazon because I was worried about dosing/staining my whole aquarium, though those only work if the fish actually eat them, so we'll see.

Cheers,
    Epicnational

4. CraniumRexWell Known MemberMember

Ich can be treated with heat alone for sure.

I would keep an eye on the fish and I personally left the heat up at 86 for 10 days after I saw the last spot. I wanted it GONE. One thing, some people say to raise the temperature slowly and others say a degree an hour or thereabouts. What the heat does is speed up the cycle so that it affects your fish for less time. I would say use your judgement and raise it as quickly as you can with the least amount of stress to your fish.

Lower the heat gradually. Some people advocate salt, but I would not recommend that with loaches.

It sounds like you have things well in hand, and are working overtime to try to get this treated. I lost one fish out of 22 in the battle. Sounds like you are off to a great start.

5. varmintWell Known MemberMember

Sorry for the late response. Not sure if you're still in the heat treatment for your Ick problem, but once you get the tank to 86F, you will need to oxygenate the tank further. You will also need to vacuum the tank every day. Temperature should not change more than 2 degrees either way.

6. EpicNationalNew MemberMember

Thank you for all the input!

Varmint, CraniumRex said lowering the water level so my filter splashes more would be enough to oxygenate the water. Do you not think this is enough? It is a planted tank, so they should also help with co2/o2 levels, yes?

Cheers,
    EpicNational

7. EpicNationalNew MemberMember

I'll probably invest in better aquarium equipment soon anyway, as its become my new favorite hobby! I bought a 20 gallon starter with basic equipment, and now I'm upgrading the heater to something I can control to treat Ick.

Do you have any suggestions on specific equipment I should look into buying? There are just so many different brands/price points that its a bit overwhelming. I wanted to get a bubbler(cause it seems like fish love playing in bubbles) or something to help aerate my water. I would love 2-3 suggestions for mid-tier purchases for something like that!

Cheers,
    EpicNational

8. varmintWell Known MemberMember

As per Cranium, that is the standard procedure. It should also depends on the size of tank and filter. You're on the right track.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice