Green Terrors Male Or Females Question

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Nikki2577, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Nikki2577

Nikki2577 Well Known Member Member

Anyone know if these are female or males or one of each? I can get a better picture of the smaller one with the orange lines tail fin in the morning. Thank you for your help:) IMG_0397.jpg IMG_0398.jpg

2. Ernest Sacco

Ernest Sacco Well Known Member Member

I'd say that the one on the bottom left is male and the other is female...but it's hard to tell with the fins from that angle

3. OP
    OP
    Nikki2577

IMG_0404.jpg IMG_0405.jpg
    Better photos

4. OP
    OP
    Nikki2577

5. OP
    OP
    Nikki2577

6. Ernest Sacco

Ernest Sacco Well Known Member Member

Yea I stand by my original stance

7. OP
    OP
    Nikki2577

Ok cool thank you very much:)

8. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

They are both females. Males have a broader, less distinct band on the tail, and usually the same on the dorsal fin. Also, the light vertical bars on either side of the lateral spot are a sign of a female, or a severely stressed male. Those fish do not look stressed at all. Finally, even a relatively small male GT will have a long dorsal with a pointed end. Neither of those fish have that.

9. OP
    OP
    Nikki2577

Oh man that’s not what I wanted to hear:( I was looking for one male at least. Will they still get colorful? I read that the females are very bland but the darker one looks like she will be colorful.

10. chromedome52

Females can be moderately colorful, just not the blow-your-socks-off color of a mature male.

11. OP
    OP
    Nikki2577

Ok thank you very much:)

12. OP
    OP
    Nikki2577

Just an update on these two green terrors, the one with the white tips on the fins is a male and the one with the orange is a female:) They have spawned several times producing fry, not very good at it yet though.

13. chromedome52

Interesting, I would have bet that both were female. Just goes to show ya!:oops:

14. OP
    OP
    Nikki2577

Lol I was so surprised when they spawned! Like I said they are not good at it at all. The Severum I asked you about has spawn twice the second batch went well and I have a ton of 1” babies swimming around.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice